Thread: New Aquila Cushion

New Aquila Cushion

I saw an ad for a new Aquila seat cushion where the battery is contained within the cushion. In reviewing past posts that mentioned the Aquila cushion, the last post was close to 4 years ago. Just wondering if anyone has this new Aquila cushion and what their thoughts are.

Thanks

Scott

I recently purchased the Softech, $4300, expensive but I reached a point of desperation.

I have only had my cushion for two months so it is too early for me to give a proper evaluation. However, if you have an alternating air mattress on your bed you can expect the same benefits. It is amazing how healthy my skin looks. I used a J cushion for years, and most recently the Ride, and I miss the stability. I was never a fan of air cushions, my physique is such that I tend to slip forward in my seat requiring me to be repositioned during the day. I also sit taller on the Softech and will now require a new accessible vehicle.

With all that said, the cushion is very comfortable. Fully charged, it is supposed to last 40 hours. The air pump is quiet enough so you rarely notice it. I corrected the side stability issue by installing trunk support on the chair. I still have to find a solution for slipping forward. I have a cursed colostomy which prevents me from using a lap belt. Installing a wedge under the front of the cushion has helped.

Do not buy. Sat on an Aquila cushion for 23 days, it completely wrecked my skin. Caused additional wounds that I'm still healing nearly 3 months later. I kept the cushion because I wanted to get it pressure mapped to prove it was made incorrectly. It definitely was, and mapped TERRIBLY. Massive amounts of pressure under my ITs, always there regardless of shifting air bladders.

The owner is a complete jerk, total asshole. At first he said to ship back the cushion, but they would keep 20% restocking fee (~$1,000). I thought about it, and decided I wouldn't do that, because if I sent the cushion back without any objective data, they could modify the cushion or change it and I would never know. So I said no, I refuse to PAY YOU $1,000 to injure me. Since I kept the cushion longer than the "return window" so I could gather data, they kept all $5,000. I filed a chargeback with my credit card company, which was just approved.

So now I'm waiting on this despicable company to try and dispute this. I'm getting more pressure mapping done and have spoken extensively with a product liability lawyer. Their product severely injured me. It was marketed to fully offload all compromised areas as well as treat/heal pressure sores. It did the exact opposite of all those things.

Be careful with Aquila. They've set up their "return policy" and documents so no matter what (even if the cushion injures you), you're required to pay a 20% restocking fee ($1,000) out of your pocket. I will fight this to the death, because the moment their product injured me, that stupid contract is null and void.
    Last edited by paraparajumper; 11-22-2015 at 08:06 PM.

I got my cushion about 5 months ago. I agree with what Noel is saying. The Aquila cushion is very quiet, to the point that it cannot be heard. Its really quite amazing. The benefit is as you say similar to the alternating mattress so both day and night you get alternation. I have not had an issue really with the stability but that is probably because they built mine with more dump in the front because I asked them to. I really like that the brains of the cushion are all inside so there isn't anything else hanging off my chair. Very good results so far from the way my skin looks and very happy to be up with my family for the holidays. Looking forward to a much healthier 2016 thanks to this cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlstreet View Post
    I got my cushion about 5 months ago. I agree with what Noel is saying. The Aquila cushion is very quiet, to the point that it cannot be heard. Its really quite amazing. The benefit is as you say similar to the alternating mattress so both day and night you get alternation. I have not had an issue really with the stability but that is probably because they built mine with more dump in the front because I asked them to. I really like that the brains of the cushion are all inside so there isn't anything else hanging off my chair. Very good results so far from the way my skin looks and very happy to be up with my family for the holidays. Looking forward to a much healthier 2016 thanks to this cushion.
    Real suspect post; sounds more like a shill marketing tactic than a review. You sure hit all the necessary descriptive marketing points of the cushion proudly displayed on their website!

At the end of the day, the cushion is not custom. It's an experimental guess based on a single drawing you provide the company. I mapped my Aquila cushion on two different mapping systems at 2 different clinics. It was the worst cushion I could have possibly been sitting on. It severely injured me and caused me 3+ months of healing and pain, wounds which just now recently healed.

The owner is a jerk. He lied, saying he never experienced a user having the problems I did (a simple internet search pulled up similar reviews). He then admitted that he thinks the cushion should be made taller to accommodate my extremely bony body. Why didn't he know to do that in the beginning? I mean, he did say he's been building these for 15 years and I thoroughly filled out the order form.

At the end of the day, you can shift pressure til kingdom come. If the user has unbelievably prominent ischial tuberosities, and those points exert 99% of the pressure, you can distribute around that pressure and it's not going to do jack.

Not only did the cushion not provide ANY pressure relief, it failed to offload ANY areas at all. The literature and "engineer" told me all areas notated on the order form would be off-loaded, full time.

For ~$5,000, Aquila should mold everyone's butt and truly build a custom cushion.

This cushion may work well for those who have a lot of muscle mass on their butt, but for those who are skin and bones, the cushion is straight up dangerous.

I'm still fighting with a credit card chargeback to receive a full refund. Aquila is trying to steal $1,000 from me as a restocking fee for a product which was improperly built and injured me. Where is the freaking logic in that!?

And no, the cushion is not quiet. In a university classroom it was annoying and disruptive. Unless there is substantial background noise, you will ABSOLUTELY hear the cushion. Saying it cannot be heard is a lie.
    Last edited by paraparajumper; 02-06-2016 at 03:42 PM.