Thread: Wound stopped healing

Wound stopped healing

16 weeks ago I had my bladder removed and gained an urostomy. All went well for a week oR so until staples were removed. Within 24 hours of staples being removed, the pouch leaked and all the steri strips fell off. Resulting in 9"+ of the surgical incision opening up. Was off work 8ish weeks and for a while wound was healing nicely. Did medi-honey first then been using fibricol & alganate ever since.

In past 3 weeks visiting nurse is convinced it's not shrinking anymore. Wound clinic applied silver nitrate this week for 'bubbly skin' and besides hurting the wound got much bigger and deeper. I sent pictures to my surgeon yesterday. She's saying the wound should've been healed by now and I may need a skin graft. I'm already on a high protein diet and have been drinking several boost/ensures a day for even more protein. Any suggestions? Things I should be asking the wound clinic?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Has anyone suggested a NPWT device (a KCI VAC would be an example)?? We often used them for failed surgical wounds like this. If the wound is really stagnant, and not improving at all, then wound matrix might also need to be considered, and that could be used to prepare the wound bed for skin grafting. If you need to go the skin grafting route, would strongly recommend you have this done by a board certified reconstructive plastic surgeon who is experienced in wound management such as this.

(KLD)

NPWT has not been suggested. The wound center & wound nurse actually space my appointments out to 4 weeks apart instead of 2. Surgeon is one who mentioned skin graft when I sent her the latest pics.

thanks for the info KLD. I will be asking about both. Calling wound center tomorrow to see if I can be seen this week instead of waiting 2 more weeks.