Thread: New glide forks and 5" castor questions

New glide forks and 5" castor questions

Sorry I've made so many threads recently, but I'm in the process of getting a new chair and didn't want to put all these questions in one thread and things get lost.

I've had frog leg forks and 4" castors on my zra for years and really like them. But I don't have the option for the my new TR3 measurements to be built around frog legs since they have their own suspension forks. So I thought it would be better to get the glide forks to make sure the FSH, etc. are correct. I haven't been able to find any info on them, maybe they're just really new. Any reason not to do this?

And as far as the castors go, it seems there are a lot of benefits to going with 5" castors. Mainly for me would be helping with cracks, bumps, ledges, etc. when using my smart drive, since I don't tend to wheelie over stuff as much with it on, as well as making it easier going through grass/gravel when I don't have my freewheel. I've been told from friends with 5" castors that maneuverability in general isn't affected, but they do tend to flutter when going down hill fast. How bad is it, and is there any solution for this?

Thanks

Here's the Glide website.

This solution for caster flutter works wonderfully (extending fork trail).
    Last edited by chasmengr; 09-19-2015 at 03:12 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Blog Entries
    They must be going seriously fast, or maybe don't have perfectly setup forks, or something in the weight distribution,...I dunno. But I do know that I don't get flutter letting gravity carry me down ramps, or my driveway (which is ~40' long but twice as steep as ADA ramps). This is with either 4" or 5" Frogleg softroll casters with aluminum hubs. That's about as fast as I ever go, so maybe that's not fast enough! (Lasher Bt-Mg chair).

On the contrary, my old Quickie GT would shake it's casters like a rabid dog with the same casters. Not sure it's up to the casters, at least not the biggest cause, IMO. FWIW, As my Froglegs elastomers degraded, and the angle of the forks changed, flutter started.

If you just put 5" casters on a chair that was setup properly with 4", then you can definitely increase sensitivity to flutter, because this jacks up the front end geometry, which is what I suspect caused some of the "bigger casters flutter more" line of thinking. They can, to be sure, but a brand new chair setup with fork stems perfectly perpendicular to the floor will roll great at safe wheelchair speeds.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Thanks guys. Chasmengr - I've checked out that site before, I just haven't seen any reviews or comparisons to frog leg forks from anyone on here yet. I've been pleased with other things out front makes so I'm sure they will be fine. As far as the castors go, I can deal with the flutter if it happens, but now I've had another friend say the 5" ones aren't as responsive as the 4". So now I don't know which way to go. Because I don't want the chair to feel more sluggish.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Thanks guys. Chasmengr - I've checked out that site before, I just haven't seen any reviews or comparisons to frog leg forks from anyone on here yet. I've been pleased with other things out front makes so I'm sure they will be fine. As far as the castors go, I can deal with the flutter if it happens, but now I've had another friend say the 5" ones aren't as responsive as the 4". So now I don't know which way to go. Because I don't want the chair to feel more sluggish.
    Go back and read your first post in this thread. You wanted 5's to better handle bumps and grass etc. I absolutely agree with that. In fact I use 8 inch pneumatics outside. Inside I use 3 inch.
    Your new friend now brings up the fact that 5's are not as responsive as 4's. That is true in that they do not turn quite as fast as 4's can but that's all. In reality, 5's do not look very big. I would go with the 5's considering you plan on power assist.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I love reading all this techno garbage about rolling over bumps and how responsive one caster is to another. I wish these manufactures would spend a little more time making a caster fork that had softer edges.
    I'm sure that my walls, appliances,woodwork, and cars would look much better.