Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear wheel spacing for 2" knobbies on LX wheels?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rear wheel spacing for 2" knobbies on LX wheels?

I want to make sure on my new TR3 that I have enough space between the side guards and my extra wheels with 2" knobbies. Right now I have 1" spacing on my zra with marathons which puts my tires about 1/2" from side guards. So the 2" tires will be 1/2" closer to side guards (touching), so should I go with 1 1/4" spacing to put a 1/4" gap between the tires and side guards? I don't want to space my marathons out too far either since it's a compromise.

If 1" isn't quite enough, add spacers.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Why spacers over having the camber tube built longer? Assuming the spacers will be there regardless of which wheels/tires I'm using.

Blog Entries
    Spacers can come off. As you mentioned, You might not want spacing too much wider than necessary when using everyday wheels just to have enough room for when you want to use knobbies. Spacers allow some flexibility that a long camber tube would not.

FWIW, before I got my rims with offset hubs, I just used some washers slid over my knobby wheels quick release axles. I stacked ~5mm worth of them on each side and was fine with spacing. Most axles have about that much adjustability at the nut/cap end to make this work. If not, longer axles can be bought. This is easier, and as functional, as bolting on/off TiLite spacers each time you want to swap wheel sets.

A slightly wider camber bar is for sure the easiest approach, especially if the full time extra width isn't an issue for you.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I would have said camber as well. Camber is a fixed solid piece. Spacers are not solid. The solid piece will absorb less of your energy and transfers that to the wheel and ground when pushing. The spacers will absorb more energy. There is a wear factor between the 1 solid piece and multiple non-solid. If you are not a person who continually is modifying the setup of the wheelchair I would say the camber tube.

Well that's the thing, I don't want to have to unscrew the camber plug and add spacers every time I want to switch wheels. That's why I was thinking if they will be there all the time I'd rather have a longer camber tube. Granted I'll have my 1" tires on 80% of the time, I would rather keep my rear wheel spacing narrower at 1" or 3/4" and just space the extra wheels out each time I use them without having to mess with the camber plug, if possible. Is the suggestion Oddity made about adding washers to the quick release axles the only/best way to do it?

If you have two sets of wheels you really need two sets of axles, put spacers on the ones you need, set the screw and forget it. How did you come to the idea of unscrewing the camber plugs?

Rear Wheelchair Wheel Axle Spacer on Sportaid $3.50

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner View Post
    If you have two sets of wheels you really need two sets of axles, put spacers on the ones you need, set the screw and forget it. How did you come to the idea of unscrewing the camber plugs?

If you use TiLite spacers but don't want full time width this is what you need to do. I mentioned this, not the OP. And yes, it's not a bright move when simply using spacers on the quick release axles is an option!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

i got the idea because I've unscrewed mine before to put in spacers, since they're adjustable (i guess I should have said axle sleeve not camber plug). And I do have two sets of axles, i just wasn't aware of putting spacers on the quick release axles instead of the axle sleeves until Oddity mentioned it. I'm just not sure if my axles are long enough.
    Last edited by Brad09; 09-20-2015 at 12:21 AM.

Agreed. I have a set of wheels with knobbies on them for the snow. I'm using a spare set of axles, that are slightly longer, and add a few washers you can get at lowes as spacers. Cheap, but effective.