Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ordered Frog Legs Double-Soft casters

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Yep, that was my first thought but they are there. I had to line them up with an allen key to get the axle through. Do you think there's a chance they are the tiniest bit short? I mean buy a hundredth or so? Then again I don't remember them spinning too freely in my hand before I mounted them. In all my years I don't know if I've every noticed (while moving) how my casters rotated. Maybe it's okay the way they are. Don't know.
    Have you asked FL about it?

Do you clean & lube your own bearings? If you removed your bearings, you could dx much better.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Have you asked FL about it?

Do you clean & lube your own bearings? If you removed your bearings, you could dx much better.
    Haven't asked Frog Legs about it. They are pretty nice. They might say if I want I can exchange them but I don't want to go through shipping stuff right now. Just sent back push rims and waiting for that to finish up (nothing to do with Frog Legs).

On the bearings - these casters are new out of the box with bearings and spacers, so I didn't think I would need to add lubrication. In the past I have changed out sets of bearings. Done that many times over the years and I have a few times lubed them too but cleaning them is usually more work than it's worth to me. You know, removing the seals etcetera. I would either lube or swap the bearings instead. I think these will be okay to run with. I'll find out for sure in a few weeks when I can start pushing on my own again without the SmartDrive. Heck, if I think about it, maybe I've ridden on some pretty slow dirty bearings in the past and never noticed so maybe no big deal having new slow ones. Hard to know what's important until I ride on something.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    The next step is to try the suspended Frog Legs but I don't know if I will ever do that. I will say one thing that might be slightly off-topic - the Frog Legs Unitine's are totally reliable and very strong.
    As one that uses the suspension forks, I wish I could address this better. Problem I have in addressing this is that I went from an old school chair using 8" casters to a TR with the suspension forks. I can say that I can feel them work. Example, when I go out the door of my house, there is a bump going through the threshold and I can feel the suspension work. That said, if s sidewalk crack is very big, it will stop the chair either way. If I come to a crack I still lift over it (or lean back). I do believe that they can deflect the issue of your chair abruptly stopping in certain situations. I have had them on both my TR chairs and if ordering a new chair I would again go with suspension forks, the new version TiLite now uses.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Thanks Brian. My last chair was a TR2 and I am still thinking I may get a TR3. The Icon helps with it's rear suspension but the front is a rough ride for me. That's why I went with the Ultra Soft casters. For me, going down hills fast is easier on my hands than braking slowly for a long time. This feels a little risky though because I worry about sticking a caster and falling out of the chair. I am hoping that Frog Legs suspended casters would add some safety but I appreciate you saying that you can still get stuck on some thing. Now I know it's not a guarantee I can float over everything if I go with the Frog Legs. Right now the thicker tires are giving a softer ride. Today I will be going down a hill and I can see how they feel then too. I wonder if I will ever find that perfect combination of all my equipment. It seems a never ending experiment. Though I can say as I've gotten older I care much less about style and more how things work. I guess I am coming over to the old-people polyester pants syndrome: forget how it looks if it's comfortable. Maybe I'll just start off with the polyester pantsuit and go from there ;-)

LOL...hold out on the pant-suit...and pants!

The larger the casters you use the better they will roll over cracks, obviously. Going from my 8" pneumatic casters to 4" soft rolls with Frog Leg suspension forks was quite a change. On my current chair I went with 5" soft rolls and I prefer those to the 4" as they do roll over things a bit better and I don't notice any negative issues, such as them getting in the way more or being less responsive. You can always go with 6" casters, that would help with cracks a lot, but may deal with flutter issues. (My guess is that you don't want casters that big.)

I find it very odd that FL's didn't make their double-softs a perfect match size wise.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

"I find it very odd that FL's didn't make their double-softs a perfect match size wise."

Me too. My 4 inch Frog Legs casters were 4.25". The Double Soft (name keeps changing) are 3.75" as I measure. That's a hearty difference. Since they are both from the same company I am confused too.

I do have a set of 5" Frog Legs casters, I could try them. You said you noticed they were a bit better rolling over things. Maybe I will try them some time since I already have them but for now I'm giving the new softer tires a try. One thing that is fun about these Ultra Soft, they look like donuts. I like donuts. :-)

I'll be rolling downhill later today and I will see what the ride is like. I know this has been said many times over here over the years but damn, I want my hover-chair. Then again, I am sure insurance won't cover it ;-)
    Last edited by grommet; 10-01-2015 at 02:34 PM.

Couldn't help myself...
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Couldn't help myself...
    Oh that's clever :-)

I am curious if the softer tires will affect how well the chair coasts. Softer compound more resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Uguessesit View Post
    I am curious if the softer tires will affect how well the chair coasts. Softer compound more resistance.
    The tires are not softer, their rubber has the same Shore hardness rating of about A72. It is a thicker tire of the same material. I won't be able to push manually for a little while until I heal up a tear but I will report in.

I did take my chair down a long steep hill today and I can definitely say the ride is softer. I think the tires won't be any harder to push, I think the softer feel is only from the thicker rubber absorbing the bumps better. Certainly pleased with them so far. Oh and they are making it easy when I hit sidewalk cracks or go over tactile strips. My chair made much more noise with my standard Frog Legs Soft Roll. I found that out unexpectedly on the way to a doctor's appointment today.