Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ordered Frog Legs Double-Soft casters

Ordered Frog Legs Double-Soft casters

http://www.froglegsinc.com/collectio...caster-4-x-1-4

It's been a while since I first heard Frog Legs were working on a thicker tired caster in soft-roll (1 x 1.4"). Originally they seem to be heading towards 1" of rubber (Shore A 70 hardness). The current one, if I remember is 1/8" (same hardness). The idea was to give a softer ride with the extra rubber taking some of the bumps. I've been checking but the 1 inch thick didn't seem to be making it to market. They are offering for sale now the Double Soft (they are also calling it the Ultra Soft) with what I think is 1/2 inch of rubber. If you're confused now, welcome aboard. I think they make great stuff and are a great company and I think they are in the process of working out the nomenclature and numbers they will assign. But it is ready to order and I am ordering a pair. I'll report in the on the ride feel.

I am checking these casters out to see if they can give me a softer ride at the footrest and I don't need to go all the way to the suspended Frog Legs casters. I do know they aren't the same thing. I think the suspended casters could be helpful with raised sidewalk sections making it less likely for me to notice the chair at eye level behind me that a moment earlier was right under me, but they would give a softer ride too. I also do know that with more rubber comes more weight but I don't care. I'm old and want the softest ride. I am still thinking about the suspended ones because I think there can be that safety factor but I don't know and it is a lot of money and I was due for new caster tires anyway.

By the way, I recently got a durometer off eBay. Was worth $70, I bid at $7 and nobody bid against me so I got a pretty cool deal. It's an instrument for measuring the hardness of rubber (I got the type A, others work on gel or on the hard end, hard plastic). I actually did need one for a project but since I had it I thought to measure some wheelchair stuff too.

My Schwalbe RightRun tires are 62A at the center strip, 72A on the grey rubber either side of the strip. SmartDrive rollers: 60A

I know this is pure geek stuff but hey, Jill at Frog Legs got a kick out of hearing I had a durometer and said yep, 70A is what they make'm. :-)
    Last edited by grommet; 09-16-2015 at 06:41 PM.

Too funny about the durometer. I'll be curious to hear your take on the Double-Soft casters.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Too funny about the durometer. I'll be curious to hear your take on the Double-Soft casters.
    x2. I used to roller skate, and the wheels are rated for hardness, too. Softer (75?) for concrete, and harder (90?) for wood floors.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

You can see some of those double softs down on the right in yellow...

https://www.facebook.com/FrogLegsInc...type=1&theater
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    You can see some of those double softs down on the right in yellow...

https://www.facebook.com/FrogLegsInc...type=1&theater
    Thank you for the link. I don't know what they will be like but I will find out soon enough. As Frog Legs have told me, if I have 4 inch casters and order the Double Soft in 4 inch, they install a 3 inch hub to make up for the height difference of the extra rubber. But as I understand so far, they are making the tread 1/2 inch thick. Seems to me things will be sitting a .5 inch lower. Just meandering thoughts until I have them in hand. I am getting more and more curious about the suspended Frog Legs. I don't have any money now to get a pair but if the safety part is true it would be a great feeling to go down the sidewalk without being so frightened about sidewalk slabs that stick up. A while ago I did come out of my chair because I timed my wheely too late. Just a hair too late but I was tired. The idea that I could roll over stuff like that would be terrific. In many years I've only had that happen a few times and that's in thousands of miles but it's a worry I'd be glad to do without.

These Double Soft won't help with that I expect but one product at a time. In all my time I seem to be working my way through most of the gear out there one at a time.

I took the Ultra Soft wheels out and it is a softer ride. Definitely noticeable. The wheels are not sized as exact replacements for 4 inch wheels, I found that out when installing them. They are 3 3/4". Frog Legs told me they were sized to replace. If you have some adjustment on your chair or fork, like using the lower hole, they should work. For some reason the pair I have aren't rolling free. My previous casters (Frog Legs) and all my others flew around with a spin. These won't. I didn't overtighten, I just tightened until the screw stopped. That's how I've installed all my wheels and they spin freely. Just details I thought to mention.

I didn't have the chance to weigh the casters before I put them on so I can't give a comparison. They look heavier and I think with the extra rubber they might be but they also have smaller diameter wheels, maybe there is an offset or it isn't enough to matter. Don't know. Just to recap, the Ultra Soft are the same rubber as their other casters, but instead of 1/8" the tread is 1/2 inch. It looks like a donut :-) Because the ride is smoother I am glad I got them. I did like the light airy look of the originals but these have their own look.
    Last edited by grommet; 09-29-2015 at 02:30 PM.

As always, another good review Grommet. Thank you. This may sound like a stupid question, but do you think the difference in outside diameter would be relative to the size? There is probably a better way to put that, but what I mean is do you think if we ordered the 5", instead of the 4" like you have, that the difference would still be 1/4"? It's a bit concerning that they are not spinning as well. Is it noticeable when using them?

I was curious and just found a photo. They look quite different than what FrogLegs shows on their website, but not bad.

Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    . . . For some reason the pair I have aren't rolling free. . . .
    Are the internal bearing spacers in place?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

elarson Yep, that picture is what I have. I do not know about your theory of scale in going to a larger size. I am not sure how they figured it when designing. 1/4 inch isn't so much though I would have liked them to be exactly the same size. I am confused why they are not since they both Frog Legs products. They told me to order the 4 inch to replace my 4 inch and explained that the hug would be 3 inches but the rubber would make up the difference. It's close.

I don't know about the free spinning. Maybe it's just my set. The thing is I have never had the problem before with any caster. I am using my SmartDrive every day now and will be a little while longer - doctor's orders. So I figure with the motor doing the pushing I wouldn't know the difference and maybe they would break in. I am looking forward to going for a walk without any motor and enjoying the freedom. Maybe I won't notice then either. They aren't frozen or anything they just don't move freely yet, the drag at the axle stops them as soon as they aren't being rotated. I think it's been a worthwhile experiment. The next step is to try the suspended Frog Legs but I don't know if I will ever do that. I will say one thing that might be slightly off-topic - the Frog Legs Unitine's are totally reliable and very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Are the internal bearing spacers in place?

Yep, that was my first thought but they are there. I had to line them up with an allen key to get the axle through. Do you think there's a chance they are the tiniest bit short? I mean buy a hundredth or so? Then again I don't remember them spinning too freely in my hand before I mounted them. In all my years I don't know if I've every noticed (while moving) how my casters rotated. Maybe it's okay the way they are. Don't know.