Thread: 25" marathons vs 24" knobbies (similar diameter?)

25" marathons vs 24" knobbies (similar diameter?)

I'm trying to figure out what 24" knobby tires I can put on my extra set of wheels that would be similar enough in diameter to my 25" marathons so that my composite scissor brakes will work with both without adjustment? I'm going with 1.25" rear wheel spacing on my new TR3 to allow for 2" wide knobbies to clear my side guards when I use them.

Anyone know the diameter of either of these?
    http://www.sportaid.com/kenda-nevega...air-tires.html

http://www.sportaid.com/kenda-wide-k...-sidewall.html
    Last edited by Brad09; 09-16-2015 at 01:28 PM.

No. Diameter is the measurement f the inside of the inner circle of tire. And wider tire on narrow rim not a good idea.

Blog Entries
    My Maxxis Holy Rollers on 507 Syncros rims match my 559 rims with Maratjon tires. Spacingoght be an issue with wider tires, though.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Yes, similar OD but not exact. 25-559 MPE are my everyday tires. I have a set of 50-559 Kenda Kobras (like knobbies) that fit on my rims. They have an OD roughly equivalent to 26" (25-590), so I imagine a 50-540 has an OD equivalent to a 25-559.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    No. Diameter is the measurement f the inside of the inner circle of tire. And wider tire on narrow rim not a good idea.
    I understand the "given" diameter of a tire is the inside measurement. I'm asking about the literal diameter of the outside of the tire since that will affect where the brakes touch. And I've never had issues with 2" knobbies on 1" wide rims in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Yes, similar OD but not exact. 25-559 MPE are my everyday tires. I have a set of 50-559 Kenda Kobras (like knobbies) that fit on my rims. They have an OD roughly equivalent to 26" (25-590), so I imagine a 50-540 has an OD equivalent to a 25-559.
    Chas, thanks for the info. That's what I was hoping to hear. Maybe I can make up for the slight difference with air pressure.

Schwalbe website has a search for ETRTO, you can look up your 540, 559 etc wheel rim size and find tires that match, they will show the overall inch size, used them a lot to figure out tire and rim size I would need to keep an overall 24"