Thread: Smow blower?

Smow blower?

Can anyone here use a snow blower? If so, can you tell mfg and model and describe how you use it? Is terrain level or incline?

I can't remember the make or models. When I lived on level ground I had a 20-30 foot driveway, so used one of those 2 stroke jobs. Strapped it to the front of the chair and have at it. Big knobbie tires in back, 8 inch in front. When I lived in CO I lived on the side of the mountain that was so steep if I turned my chair sideways and didn't lean into the hill I would tip over. I got a self propelled with chains. I could only plow down hill. The machine would trash the transmission drive wheel trying to pull me up the hill while plowing. When the snow got bad enough we just took the snowmobile to town.
    A ride on tractor or an ATV with chains, would probably be best.

Hey! Thanks for info. My driveway about +/- 100'. Only way I can go up hill in wheelchair is backwards because of steep. Even then I can end up sliding down the hill. Coming down is forward, but still same sliding issues. Your info, sounds like, can do it, but not great idea. I have had it always Plowed. Was really wondering if it is possible to do myself.

Even with chains and wheel weights, I still can get stuck if it's too icy, and my driveway and street are flat.

Youtube search for: "snowblower, wheelchair". There's a vid of a guy from Newfoundland, Canada that uses a simple contraption created by a welding class at a local community college. A neighbour of the disabled guy proposed the project to the class' teacher and he got his class to design and fabricate a solution to help the disabled guy out. As I recall, it looked like a wide square shaped shovel head that was big enough to carry the entire wheelchair which was fastened to the back of a regular push snowblower. It seemed like the snowblower had no problems dragging him on that tray behind it. Any DIY'er shouldn't have too much trouble putting something like that together...

I personally looked into mounting a Berco like in the pic above to the front of my Toro Zero-Turn mower but the modifications would be expense and challenging. For it to work, I'd have to remove the heavy mowing deck to run the drive belt from the back of the tractor all the way to the snowblower. In the end, I figured it wasn't worth the hassle, but I was really tempted to try...

rlmtrhmiles, are you able to transfer onto an ATV? I'm a C6 quad and that's what I do. Not only is it much faster than a snow blower, but I actually look forward to big snow storms now because it is so much fun.