Thread: Alaskan cruise

Alaskan cruise

I am considering an Alaskan cruise August '16. I had been on one in 1997, but this time would like to include a cruise tour package. My big concern is the flight, which to or from Anchorage would require a connecting flight at Seattle. I have concerns about my chair/I in between connecting flights.

If you gate check your wheelchair (never put through as checked baggage) you just let the cabin crew know that upon arrival you need your chair brought up to you at the jet-way, and use that to get to the next gate. Leave enough time between flights to be first-on-last-off, and still get to the next gate 1 hour before your next flight. Of course you need to "pack" your chair so it doesn't get damaged, which means (if possible) removing the controls and carrying them with you, and posting big signs on how to get chair in and out of free wheel for loading. Try to take a reliable airline such as Alaska or United who are trained on how to handle your chair.

Have you found a cruise tour already that will provide lift equipped buses and trains in Alaska, as well as transport to get you to the train or bus pick up location from the ship?? If so, please share.

(KLD)

I'm leaning toward doing only a cruise. I have one reserved on the Celebrity Infinity because they have accessible aft cabins.

I would recommend this as well. Finding accessible transportation as part of the land package is most difficult. Celebrity usually does a good job with their accessibility on cruises, but I would still want to check with them about transportation to/from the airport in Alaska.

(KLD)

This particular cruise is roundtrip from Vancouver.

You should be fine then. There are wheelchair accessible cabs from the airport to the pier or hotel there, and from the ship back to the airport.

Hope you will be getting into Glacier Bay...no compare with some of the other glacier destinations. Also, Sitka is usually the only tender port (not all ships go there). In Skagway you can get onto the Whitehorse train (one car has a lift, wheelchair accessible bathroom, and seating). Book that through the ship even if more expensive than on your own, as it may be sold out otherwise. In Juneau you can get a wheelchair accessible shuttle bus from the pier (here you can book on your own) to Mendenhall Glacier, and most of the pathway to the falls is accessible, as is the excellent visitor's center. I know that many people have also taken a wheelchair accessible whale watching trip there. Ketchikan is a good place to be corny and go to a lumberjack show. You can book this on the pier and it is only about 4 blocks from the pier. Have a great time!

(KLD)

I saw Hubbard Glacier on my last cruise, and that is where this particular cruise will be going. Celebrity does not go to Glacier Bay. I did the train in Skagway, which was enjoyable. I'm really torn between an Alaskan cruise or Yosemite, which I've never been.

In Juneau, Orca Enterprises (Captain Larry) has a wheelchair-accessible boat for whale watching. They provided us with a van & driver to get us to & from Mendenhall Glacier, then to the boat, and after that to a salmon bake. That was 7 or 8 years ago; I assume it hasn't changed much.
    - Richard