Thread: Alternative for Tizanidine?

Alternative for Tizanidine?

Hi all!
    I am having major side affects from Tizanidine. I've been taking this med over a year! Enough is enough! I cant accomplish my daily goals. All I want to do is sleep! Other side affects is dry mouth, foggy mind. When I transfer to my wheelchair, fast hart beat, blood pressure goes down, dizziness. Also, my tummy has not been the same since I started taking it.

My NP had started me slow on it. Then up me to 4mg 4x a day. I went back to see her to tell her my issues. She referred me to spasticity.

Doctor told me to lower the dosage a little and see how it goes.
    I started taking 4mg in the morning, 2mg noon, 2mg evening, 2mg at night. Still felt the same! He also bump my baclofen 25mg 4x a day, but spasms got worse with 25mg so went back to 20mg.

I went back to complaint and got ignored by a different spasticity doctor. He said only thing he can do is inject Botox. So I went along with the Botox. He told me to continue on meds. He also recommended the baclofen pump but I said no.

I have an appointment on the 25th of this month. Can anyone recommend any alternative medication? I searched here and web. A lot of people complain about side affects of this medication. It does work for my spasms , but hate the side affects.

My current meds prescribed

Baclofen 20mg 4x a day
    Diazepam 10mg 4x a day
    Tizanidine 4mg 4x a day
    Colace 100mg 2x a day

C3 Incomplete
    T6 Complete
    Inc C3 since Dec 99

Did you already try Baclofen? That is the first line drug. Other options are Dantrolene, and Valium. All are sedating...supposedly Tizanadine the least amount. You also might be a candidate for a baclofen pump if baclofen works for you orally, but has too many side effects. Of course you should also be doing exercise to reduce your spasticity such as daily stretching, standing daily, and laying prone (on your stomach) at least a hour daily. Medical marijuana is an option for some.

(KLD)

SCI-Nurse,

Yes, I'm on Baclofen. It was the first medication prescribed 16 years ago. Valium 9 years ago. I do range of motion daily.

Baclofen 20mg 4x a day
    Diazepam 10mg 4x a day
    Tizanidine 4mg 4x a day

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Did you already try Baclofen? That is the first line drug. Other options are Dantrolene, and Valium. All are sedating...supposedly Tizanadine the least amount. You also might be a candidate for a baclofen pump if baclofen works for you orally, but has too many side effects. Of course you should also be doing exercise to reduce your spasticity such as daily stretching, standing daily, and laying prone (on your stomach) at least a hour daily. Medical marijuana is an option for some.

(KLD)
    Last edited by Eman; 09-14-2015 at 02:14 AM.
    Inc C3 since Dec 99

Suggest you discuss baclofen pump implantation with your SCI physician then.

(KLD)

For what its worth, I'm currently doing 4mg Tizanidine, 5 times a day and 1 mg Clonezapam in the evening. The only time I have extreme spasticty is around 3-4am after I've been in bed for 8 hrs.

I was on 40mg Baclofen twice a day. I could barely move. I weaned myself off about two years ago.

In my opinion, THE major side effect of Baclofen is almost complete loss of muscle control. My guess is that's your problem...not the Tizanidine.