Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Chevy explorer conversion van walkthrough

OH YAH. factory remote start
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    I agree, remote start is just about a necessity in a converted van, nothing like going through all the motions transferring in it and it not starting.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Here are a few pics for you John. Nothing fancy but something I could afford.

View from the backseat with the flooring that runs all the way up into the driver's compartment. SOO much easier to keep clean and less resistance when turning.

This is how my legs ride when I'm driving. Not nearly as comfortable as my Ford but I can deal with it.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

dam nice ride Robin. looks new.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Here are a few pics for you John. Nothing fancy but something I could afford.

View from the backseat with the flooring that runs all the way up into the driver's compartment. SOO much easier to keep clean and less resistance when turning.

This is how my legs ride when I'm driving. Not nearly as comfortable as my Ford but I can deal with it.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    all, regarding how the b/d transfer base adds 1 inch or so to the seat height in chevy explorer conv vans. I took ours to an upholstery shop and he got the profile back down to stock height, still very comfortable. my wife is short so when she would drive the van her leg was always flexed to reach gas peddle rather than resting with heal on floor. now she is in a normal position and I'm in a more comfortable driving position. surprising how an inch or 2 makes such a big difference. charged me $150.
    John, I'm considering putting the b/d transfer base in my 2016 Chev Express. It's nearly the same dimensions as yours. Do you notice any offset? That is do you think the seat is relocated from factory original away from the door so that it will be able to slide and swivel? For example on another brand that only swivels they move the seat two inches closer to the passenger side. Am I making sense?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I think its same mounting spot. I would call b/d they are generally very helpful. It does sit a bit higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    john, i'm considering putting the b/d transfer base in my 2016 chev express. It's nearly the same dimensions as yours. Do you notice any offset? That is do you think the seat is relocated from factory original away from the door so that it will be able to slide and swivel? For example on another brand that only swivels they move the seat two inches closer to the passenger side. Am i making sense?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I think its same mounting spot. I would call b/d they are generally very helpful. It does sit a bit higher.
    Good, if you don't see an issue with offset, there isn't a problem. I was planning to call but I have several other questions on my list and wanted to get that one off of it. I might have to sit on something in my existing seat to see if the extra height is too much, on the other hand if I want to stay with Chev, there seem to be no alternatives.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    good, if you don't see an issue with offset, there isn't a problem. I was planning to call but i have several other questions on my list and wanted to get that one off of it. I might have to sit on something in my existing seat to see if the extra height is too much, on the other hand if i want to stay with chev, there seem to be no alternatives.
    that black airbag box is why its higher. I have a few buddies whos shop took the oem seat adjustment part off and just bolted seat to b/d without oem electric seat controls to get the lower seat. My mobility place wouldnt do that.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I don't have an electric seat, so my base might not be lowerable, or b/d might have an answer for that. I hope Chev left a power pigtail under the seat. It seems to me they would have. Another concern is the transmission hump. Yeah, like a 70's car, this has a transmission hump. The floor between the seats is not flat. Chev does not care about the conversion market IMO.