Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chevy explorer conversion van walkthrough

art, we bought van then did the mobility stuff separate. they did negotiate a bit on pricing since we were a cash buyer I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    First time I seen this. You know the price? With transfer base and hand controls? and Lift?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

thx killer. been a real game changer. so much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    Such a nice unit, Fuente!
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Yes John, you were right on both accounts.

1- I WAS going to start driving from my chair. I bought a Ford E150 back in July, lowered floor, the whole deal ready to drive. And I hated the feel. I kept it a month and then put it up for sale. Sold it 2 months later and made a grand and then started my search over again.

2- Yes, still transfering and having no issues. I'm sure one day they'll give out but fo now I'm still doing it the way I always have.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    The quadfather is correct, the mobility dealers have little or no interest in modifying full sized vans - the minivans are a gold mine. In 1973 my girlfriend and I converted a Ford Econoline with a Maxon rotary lift, a friend built us a foldup bed for the back and a fold down table. We added a wooden box with a bucket lined with a garbage bag inside which stowed under the bed while not in use. We added our dog, our cat, his litterbox and camped from New York State to Canada, down through the midwest down to Louisiana, then hugged the coast through Texas all the way to California then back through the southwest. We stopped about every 3rd day at motels for showers and room service, otherwise we camped with a propane stove and water we stowed in the van. Try that in a minivan. Now with modern campgrounds with accessible showers and restrooms this trip would have been much easier. I was a newly injured para at the time, for me doing the trip was like an AB walking the Appalachian Trail it instilled in me a sense of confidence and created a more positive outlook about life in a chair. I have had at least one full sized van ever since, usually two. I am very pissed at the lack of interest on the part of mobility dealers.
    No I was not saying this to you I just agreed with ancientgimp. Sorry to forgot to hit reply with quote.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    If your mobility dealer is like mine, all they are interested in selling are the pre-converted mini-vans (VMI, EnterVan, etc.). I get that. They are easy and profitable to sell. And they are probably fine for elderly or less active crips.

But if you want the best durability and reliability; if you have a family, job obligations or active (for us) lifestyle; if you want as little structural changes to the factory engineered vehicle as possible... I think custom converted full size vans are still the best option.

And the Transit is already being converted for personal use...

http://www.nor-calvans.com/ford-transit/mobility
    First time I seen this. You know the price? With transfer base and hand controls? and Lift? I messed up with this post to. Back hurts hard to think good sometimes. I looked online and did not see one you can drive yet.
    Art

ya, its gotta be a bitch driving from a chair. I use a board and gravity in my van lol. send me pics of your ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Yes John, you were right on both accounts.

1- I WAS going to start driving from my chair. I bought a Ford E150 back in July, lowered floor, the whole deal ready to drive. And I hated the feel. I kept it a month and then put it up for sale. Sold it 2 months later and made a grand and then started my search over again.

2- Yes, still transfering and having no issues. I'm sure one day they'll give out but fo now I'm still doing it the way I always have.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    all, regarding how the b/d transfer base adds 1 inch or so to the seat height in chevy explorer conv vans. I took ours to an upholstery shop and he got the profile back down to stock height, still very comfortable. my wife is short so when she would drive the van her leg was always flexed to reach gas peddle rather than resting with heal on floor. now she is in a normal position and I'm in a more comfortable driving position. surprising how an inch or 2 makes such a big difference. charged me $150.
    Glad to hear you got the seat situation resolved! I don't understand why the mobility dealer didn't remove the stock seat base and mount the seat directly on the BD base. They relocated the airbag electronics box on my Explorers directly on the BD base, very easy to do.

Gino,
    I hear you. no one including b/d said that was possible(doing anything with that box) these days. the stock base is gone, but the GM power unit is still there to be able to use all oem power. I could do without but they would not remove it. I even called a gentleman that is very "old school" he couldn't even do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GinoL View Post
    Glad to hear you got the seat situation resolved! I don't understand why the mobility dealer didn't remove the stock seat base and mount the seat directly on the BD base. They relocated the airbag electronics box on my Explorers directly on the BD base, very easy to do.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Remote Starter?

fuentejps,

Did you get a remote starter installed on your van?

After going to -14 degrees F in 1995, I was able to get in my van but my battery didn't have enough energy to turn over the engine.

If I would had a remote stater there would have been enough energy to turn my van over first then get in and drive off to work. After this experience I got a remote starter installed.

Living in northeast Ohio last year it dropped to -14 degree F last year and two years ago -24 degree F during the January winters.

Something to think about?

Enjoy the van!

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 02-22-2016 at 06:04 PM. Reason: degree symbol didn't appear
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

I agree, remote start is just about a necessity in a converted van, nothing like going through all the motions transferring in it and it not starting.