Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chevy explorer conversion van walkthrough

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I hope that someone makes a Transit that can be driven from a wheelchair. Would be great to have a vehicle that's not altered and have a windshield I can see out off.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I see the Transit offers a 6-way, transfer seat base, so I would guess that it can be driven from a wheelchair. Would be great to have a vehicle that's not been cut and added on to, plus have a windshield I can see out off.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I wouldn't necessarily think that just because a 6-way seat is offered that driving from your chair is an option. There's a BIG difference from regular floor to steering wheel height vs lowered from to SW height.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I'm interested in buying a Ford Transit. It looks like they are coming out with some good options but my dealer said that it hasn't been approved for driving from the wheelchair and he has no "frigging" clue when it will be. I need a full size van and transferring to a seat isn't a good option. The dealer recommended I look for an econoline. Anyone have any information about driving from a wheelchair in the Transit? I like the looks of the econoline better but the transit definitely has better seating options and I would really hate to spend all the money on the discontinued econoline when the transit, an updated vehicle, is out there.

all, regarding how the b/d transfer base adds 1 inch or so to the seat height in chevy explorer conv vans. I took ours to an upholstery shop and he got the profile back down to stock height, still very comfortable. my wife is short so when she would drive the van her leg was always flexed to reach gas peddle rather than resting with heal on floor. now she is in a normal position and I'm in a more comfortable driving position. surprising how an inch or 2 makes such a big difference. charged me $150.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    all, regarding how the b/d transfer base adds 1 inch or so to the seat height in chevy explorer conv vans. I took ours to an upholstery shop and he got the profile back down to stock height, still very comfortable. my wife is short so when she would drive the van her leg was always flexed to reach gas peddle rather than resting with heal on floor. now she is in a normal position and I'm in a more comfortable driving position. surprising how an inch or 2 makes such a big difference. charged me $150.
    John, I just got a BD seat put in a Chevy and it felt very uncomfortable. I went to pick the van up yesterday but somewhere in their installation process, they shorted out a wire and my power door locks no longer worked. So I don't "have" the van yet. When I tried it out, the seat sits so high my legs are almost at 90 degrees. I usually like to stretch out my left leg more to give me more clearance for the hand controls. It also has a lot more dump than the passenger seat which makes transfers more difficult that they should. Is cutting down the seat the only option for lowering the seat? I would never have gotten this seat-base had I known it sat so high.

Can you take a picture looking down towards your knees and steering wheel just to give me an idea on how your driving situation looks please? Thanks.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    John, I just got a BD seat put in a Chevy and it felt very uncomfortable. I went to pick the van up yesterday but somewhere in their installation process, they shorted out a wire and my power door locks no longer worked. So I don't "have" the van yet. When I tried it out, the seat sits so high my legs are almost at 90 degrees. I usually like to stretch out my left leg more to give me more clearance for the hand controls. It also has a lot more dump than the passenger seat which makes transfers more difficult that they should. Is cutting down the seat the only option for lowering the seat? I would never have gotten this seat-base had I known it sat so high.

Can you take a picture looking down towards your knees and steering wheel just to give me an idea on how your driving situation looks please? Thanks.
    ROBIN,
    yes its the only option these days unless you an find someone who will remove the chevy power base and bolt directly to the b/d frame. the mobility guys wont, well mine wouldn't. or anyone local. that bucket feeling is partially the seat mold and the angle to clear the airbag box. all the transfer seat bases will be the same I believe, all due to airbag box under the seat. b/d claims only 1inch difference, seems more.

my upholstery guy did great, huge difference.

i'll snap a pic this weekend.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Perfect, thanks John. We picked it up today and Julie drove it the 75 miles home. She's 5'6" but was still uncomfortable driving. The concern for me is 1) Having more clearance for the hand controls before they hit my leg, 2) My legs will occasionally spasm when driving and if they're firmly on the floor, I can control them. With the seat front being up as high as it is, there's almost no weight on my feet. 3) Piss doesn't like to run up hill!

The next time you're in the van, please just shoot a pic so I can see where the handcontrols are in relation to your legs. A side pic might be nice too. I have a buddy who has an upholstery shop and the more I can show him, the better. Thanks brother!

will do. which chevy did you get? power drivers seat?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Yes, power seat. It was a used 2004 in mint condition. I got a deal on it and wanted to try a Chevy with the double doors. In my almost 44 years, I've had a Dodge, two Chevys, three Fords, and now back to a Chevy.

This isn't the greatest pic, but I had flooring put down in the center and ran it all the way up under the driver's feet. It makes it so much easier to keep clean. With all of my outdoor travels, it's impossible to keep it clean and having it everywhere I have the chair or drag my feet will help.

Last edited by DeadEye; 02-20-2016 at 01:11 PM.