Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chevy explorer conversion van walkthrough

the new full size fords are dam nice seen a few modded now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    With them stop making the ford E150......not much choice rather than a minivan now. Raise tops are a pain to get around in....seen a lot of them get torn off trying to get in hospital parking garages and the likes. The fords you could lower the floor and still get in a 7 foot door.
    I was pleasantly surprised with lift speed, especially with truck running
    Quote Originally Posted by lazierdog View Post
    Looks nice. I just wished they made lifts that moves faster. I have to disagree with you about the hand controls. I used mpd's for over 15 years and now have Suregrips on both my vehicles. I'll never go back to mpd's. For me, they're just easier to use. In the end it's a personal preference.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Man, that brings back memories. I had that same setup in a Ford E150 for years. The clunk the lift made when it unfolded and the chunk-chunk-chunk the seat made at first was like an old song from my past. Looks great. Hope it works out for you for many years.

I bet the new Ford Transit (full size) will dominate the crip van market in just a few years. There are three lengths and three roof heights (all from the factory, not a fiberglass 'raised roof'). The side door opening is amazingly wide. Efficient but powerful V6. Newest safety and technology stuff. Much cheaper than a Sprinter.

I'll keep my current ride (2008 Chevy Express) for a couple more years, but the future is here now

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Man, that brings back memories. I had that same setup in a Ford E150 for years. The clunk the lift made when it unfolded and the chunk-chunk-chunk the seat made at first was like an old song from my past. Looks great. Hope it works out for you for many years.
    my shoulders love that sound lol.

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    I bet the new Ford Transit (full size) will dominate the crip van market in just a few years. There are three lengths and three roof heights (all from the factory, not a fiberglass 'raised roof'). The side door opening is amazingly wide. Efficient but powerful V6. Newest safety and technology stuff. Much cheaper than a Sprinter.

I'll keep my current ride (2008 Chevy Express) for a couple more years, but the future is here now
    agreed. I hear chevy has a new "euro" style coming too.

im glad I went high top.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

You'll love the van in the winter, John. I take a lot of flak for being "one of those" paras with a van, but when I want to haul all my goodies, the family, and everything else, my van is the only way to go. Additionally. when I'm under the weather, or need to make multiple stops in one day, you can't beat a van.

With that said, I still have a car too. I love driving the car for great MPG's and the fact that it doesn't feel like a school bus. Plus it keep the wear and tear off the MUCH more expensive van.

Enjoy!
    Dave

Looks good John! One thing I did when I got my last Ford was have them put down vinyl flooring instead of the black you have in yours. I had a lot of wood in my van so the wood appearance of the vinyl looks great, not to mention it is so much better than those that leave in the carpet.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

They have a lot of work if they want to make the Transit work. I ask my dealer about it.....there is a lot of problems trying to make that work.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    They have a lot of work if they want to make the Transit work. I ask my dealer about it.....there is a lot of problems trying to make that work.
    If your mobility dealer is like mine, all they are interested in selling are the pre-converted mini-vans (VMI, EnterVan, etc.). I get that. They are easy and profitable to sell. And they are probably fine for elderly or less active crips.

But if you want the best durability and reliability; if you have a family, job obligations or active (for us) lifestyle; if you want as little structural changes to the factory engineered vehicle as possible... I think custom converted full size vans are still the best option.

And the Transit is already being converted for personal use...

http://www.nor-calvans.com/ford-transit/mobility

The quadfather is correct, the mobility dealers have little or no interest in modifying full sized vans - the minivans are a gold mine. In 1973 my girlfriend and I converted a Ford Econoline with a Maxon rotary lift, a friend built us a foldup bed for the back and a fold down table. We added a wooden box with a bucket lined with a garbage bag inside which stowed under the bed while not in use. We added our dog, our cat, his litterbox and camped from New York State to Canada, down through the midwest down to Louisiana, then hugged the coast through Texas all the way to California then back through the southwest. We stopped about every 3rd day at motels for showers and room service, otherwise we camped with a propane stove and water we stowed in the van. Try that in a minivan. Now with modern campgrounds with accessible showers and restrooms this trip would have been much easier. I was a newly injured para at the time, for me doing the trip was like an AB walking the Appalachian Trail it instilled in me a sense of confidence and created a more positive outlook about life in a chair. I have had at least one full sized van ever since, usually two. I am very pissed at the lack of interest on the part of mobility dealers.

that is absolutely correct.

braun, is working on a new lift and door operators for the trend towards the slide door full size van. from what im seeing the full size is making a comeback. im sure sold. I love mine.

If your mobility dealer is like mine, all they are interested in selling are the pre-converted mini-vans (VMI, EnterVan, etc.). I get that. They are easy and profitable to sell. And they are probably fine for elderly or less active crips.

But if you want the best durability and reliability; if you have a family, job obligations or active (for us) lifestyle; if you want as little structural changes to the factory engineered vehicle as possible... I think custom converted full size vans are still the best option.

And the Transit is already being converted for personal use...

http://www.nor-calvans.com/ford-transit/mobility
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com