Thread: Little history and the Bible

Little history and the Bible

My first computer was a Orange+, and Apple+ clone. Then I went to college and used the IBM 8086 chip computer. ended up buying an 8088 chip running at 1 MHz with one meg of RAM (even though can only address 640 K).

There was no hard drive and I had two floppy 360 K disks drives.It was DOS 3.3 and I was on the Internet (no World Wide Web) at 300 baud.

Used to buy computer pretty regularly, about every other year or less, but I have some 15-year-old kid but this together this box for me. He didn't know anything about computers I just told him where to put what where.

Now I'm upgrading my I7 quad core running and 2.8 GHz (not clocked) with16 GB of RAM, 4 GB of DDR5 on the video and a 4K monitor with a 1 ms response time.Adding a 512 GB SSD drive to the existing 2TB Seagate hard drives

The fastest game I play is chess. But over the years people always ask me what computer to buy and I told them by the monitor you going to change the box.

To put this all into context the first code I wrote was on a 32-bit mainframe Digital Equipment Company donated to my high school using mylar tape.

Then I learned don't drop your punchcards and look at what I'm using today. Writing code is in my genes my dad wrote the code get the Apollo to the moon and then connect with the Soyuz rocket. Mom wrote code for the Orange County government Southern California.

Side note the computer is that went to the moon were 32-bit machines, three of them (triple redundancy) that is why we were able to run the code that got Apollo 13 back home, by combining computers.

Wonder how old I am in computer years? you want to hear about writing COBOL?

Started with Fortran on the mainframe, and Applesoft basic on the Apple II. I have worked with a half dozen more post PC birth. Of all of them Prolog was the most fun. It gave a real boost to A.I.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

When I wrote with the mylar tape it was in BASIC and yes I did the Apple DOS and I can't remember where the language transitioned into.

Formula translation was mostly for engineers and numbercrunching I have a business background so therefore the COBOL. Also done on a mainframe and I had to write the JCL on a IBM 360 series mainframe at the time FORTRAN was already being taken over by C, C+ C++.

The point of my dissertation was from where I started and the cost per "bit", from monochrome screen to 28 inch..16 dpi or 157 PPI. It's a big difference from my Amber monitor that I played hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on.

Now you don't even really have to write code with fourth-generation languages just tell it what to do with some good (don't remember the modern word for flowchart) and it generates the code for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    When I wrote with the mylar tape it was in BASIC and yes I did the Apple DOS and I can't remember where the language transitioned into.

Formula translation was mostly for engineers and numbercrunching I have a business background so therefore the COBOL. Also done on a mainframe and I had to write the JCL on a IBM 360 series mainframe at the time FORTRAN was already being taken over by C, C+ C++.

The point of my dissertation was from where I started and the cost per "bit", from monochrome screen to 28 inch..16 dpi or 157 PPI. It's a big difference from my Amber monitor that I played hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on.

Now you don't even really have to write code with fourth-generation languages just tell it what to do with some good (don't remember the modern word for flowchart) and it generates the code for you.
    I believe Paschal followed Basic. Back in the 1970s no one would have believed that someday we would pack a Tb of memory in a hard drive smaller than a wallet.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I remember clearly when my engineer dad brought home his first ever electronic 4-function calculator - size of half a shoe box.

My fabulous high school graduation gift was an electric typewriter !!

I think I still have my slide rule somewhere . . . can you say vacuum tube?

I also remember switching the office's one shared computer from DOS to Windows - "Why in the world would someone ever need to run more than one program at a time?"
    Last edited by chasmengr; 09-15-2015 at 09:04 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I am slightly embarassed to admit that I coded in RPG for about 13 years before moving on to Clipper (anyone remember that language - pretty badass in i's own right - CA bought it and screwed it up), Visual Basic and FoxPro. Now I test software and am trying wrap my head around Javascript. The advances in computer tech never ceases to amaze me. Everytime I turn on my smartphone I think about those 8k machines I worked on!