Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What rigid ultralight wheelchairs and options should I consider for a new order?

What rigid ultralight wheelchairs and options should I consider for a new order?

I have spent a few hours searching the boards and researching chairs but thought I would pose the question in order to get direct recommendations from people. I am being sent to a Physical Therapist to be evaluated for a new chair by my insurance provider. I have not ordered a new chair in almost 11 years. In the past I would just get a prescription from my doc and then meet with a DME to place the order. I don't know how much info I am going to need now and if the PT is going to do everything including placing the order. I want to have all relevant info with me just in case. So, what wheelchairs and options would you consider as important if you were placing a new order? I am a T-11 Para and want a rigid chair that is as light as possible so that I can easily load it into the car on my own. I put the chair in the backseat of my Trans Am so there is not a lot of room. I also need wheels/tires that are good for off road and snow use.

Chairs I am considering
    -TiLite Aero Z (Titanium upgrade?)
    -Quickie Q7 or GT
    -Any others?

Wheelchair Accessories and options I'm considering
    -Ergonomic Handrims (Natural Fit or The Surge)
    -25" Spinergy Spox? (2" wide, knobby, pneumatic tires)
    -Hub Locks (Ds Locks)
    -Quick release axles
    -ADI Carbon Fiber Backrest or ROHO Jetstream Pro
    -Luggage Carriers
    -Removable Sideguards (preferably carbon fiber)
    -Vicair cushion or ROHO Hybrid
    -Solid Seatpan

Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Write the Quickie off. I haven't any experience with TiLite but Quickie's are NOT built like they used to be ... I'm not sure if they fixed the issue, but reviews showed the Q7 to have snapping castors. My own GTi was discontinued after a year from a design flaw.

I'm looking at Surge handrims myself ... I'll never go to anything else after my Spinergies. They were life changing. So light! Like you, I had to break down my chair for school/work from age 16-41. Went to a power chair, manual use at home .. my car is sitting and I'm not sure what I want to do with it.

D's locks don't last forever and I had to constantly tighten mine ... I and another user I know went back to out-front brakes (they're curved at least so they stay out of the way). D's locks are great while they last ... 1-2yrs.

Quick release axles are a must - how are you getting your chair in that trans-am now?

I'd like to look at different backs myself. I'm lost here.

I threw my sideguards away years ago .. tried them again about six years ago and dumped them again. They just get in the way and add weight to the chair. With enough space, I don't get my hips dirty or wet.

I personally hate Roho. I'm in a gel Jay for now, but it's stopped working for me after 30yrs so not sure what I'll do now. They also discontinued my Jay Active, darn it!

Solid seatpan ... I had been thinking of this for myself ... but I recently purchased a power chair, with a solid seat pan of course, and I feel every freaking crack or uneven pavement with a thump that sends my spine hurting.

Cantilevered design is the way to go - I'll never go to anything else ever again.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

If you consider Quickie, don't go for Mexican made Quickie. Germany made Quickie is much better quality. You can choose Helium, which is the same with Q7.

If you are not handy to adjust your chair, choose Top End Crossfire T7A, you only need to adjust the seat.
    Last edited by sowseng; 09-12-2015 at 08:45 AM.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Blog Entries
    Every chair is gonna have its fans and its haters. If you've got a decent PT and get one spec'd out properly, then you're 90% there with either of the two you're considering. Top End Crossfire is another similar to the ones on your list. Fit is biggest consideration, and if there is any doubt, adjustable might be better. The Icon is a good option, too. Very flexible platform.

Ive used all those accessories over the past decade. The only one I ditched is the luggage carriers. My lap works better. I've been using D's locks since 2008, same set, and have changed the cable once. Other than that, installed with thread lock, they have been trouble free. Love them. I use ADI back on one chair, standard upholstery on another. I use the ADI set much higher for more support when my disc issue flares up, so it has a purpose, but roll with standard back most of the time for weight and simplicity. (My chair is fully welded, so it was counter productive IMO to bolt a back on, since I went full welded specifically to minimize fastener count.)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Staying only with your specific questions:

>TiLite Aero Z (Titanium upgrade?)
    >-Quickie Q7 or GT

Aero Z because it is adjustable, titanium if you can afford it.

Wheelchair Accessories and options I'm considering
    -Ergonomic Handrims (Natural Fit or The Surge)

I like Surge. It is an upgrade of the Natural Fit Lt.

>-25" Spinergy Spox? (2" wide, knobby, pneumatic tires)

Spox are fine, they have the same bearings as the LX, but more spokes and are a little heavier. Do you have a special reason for those tires? Most like Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

>-Hub Locks (Ds Locks)

I never thought one of the most difficult things about wheelchairs would be keeping them stopped.

>-Quick release axles

All good chairs use these. You must be in a hospital type chair now.

>-ADI Carbon Fiber Backrest or ROHO Jetstream Pro

Do you need the weight and bulk? You might be able to consider an adjustable cloth back.

>-Luggage Carriers

Junk weight unless you have a very special need.

>-Removable Sideguards (preferably carbon fiber)

Maybe you need these in snow county, but I don't carry the extra weight and I live in Seattle.

>-Vicair cushion or ROHO Hybrid

You know the answer to this question best.

>-Solid Seatpan

There was a lot of hype about solids a while back and I got interested in setting one up for myself but eventually did not want to spend the money. What I discovered for myself was that I could see no real advantage. Part of it was that by using velcro you don't have to drill holes in the frame, so supposedly there is no weakening with a solid seat pan.

The one thing that I did notice is that the only place I ever felt comfortable on a Roho was when it was on a firm surface like a solid seat pan (I have full sensation). So take that into consideration. I've wondered if they work better on solids for everyone.
    Last edited by nonoise; 09-12-2015 at 01:51 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Write the Quickie off. I haven't any experience with TiLite but Quickie's are NOT built like they used to be ... I'm not sure if they fixed the issue, but reviews showed the Q7 to have snapping castors. My own GTi was discontinued after a year from a design flaw.
    Thank you for the tips and the warning about Quickie. They used to be one of the the big three best options the last time I ordered a chair.

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    If you consider Quickie, don't go for Mexican made Quickie. Germany made Quickie is much better quality. You can choose Helium, which is the same with Q7.

If you are not handy to adjust your chair, choose Top End Crossfire T7A, you only need to adjust the seat.
    It looks like it is a good idea to stay away from Quickie. I will check out the Top End Crossfire T7A. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Staying only with your specific questions:
    Thank you for all the great advice. I appreciate your help.

Check out Kt and Colours chairs

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Check out Kt and Colours chairs
    I was looking at the Colours Razorblade but it seems very expensive for an aluminum chair and a bit heavy. Is there any benefit of going Colours Aluminum chair over a Tilite Titanium chair?