Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making Do with A Too Small ZRA

I was going to suggest flipping the footplate around. Kudos to elarson for actually doing it. I figured the OP's legs would be too long for his wheelchair without an extended frame. Many people with smaller butts and long legs opt for adding a couple or three inches to the frame length rather than go with the deeper seat dimension. Turning the footplate around isn't the best option but it should work. I've seen plenty of TiLite's demo chairs configured this way for sale on eBay.

You could remove the footrest and tubing entirely and turn it around. That will give you a maximum extension. Or you should be able to unbolt the aluminum footplate alone and turn that around, if you don't want it sticking out so far in front of your chair.

My plan (per your suggestions) is to:
    *reverse the foot plate
    *Looks like the axel can be lowered an inch
    *Get a 3 inch high cushion
    I would have done the first two by now but those hex nuts are really on there and afraid to use too much torque
    *The hard seat pan and fabric back would give me more height and depth but don't know how to get those used yet.
    Question: I am wondering if 24" tire with a taller profile exists?

Here are a few measurement the nursing service did for me.
    Top of shoulder to tip of hand 24.5?
    Top of shoulder to seat 23?
    Width 15/16?
    Chest width 14?
    Heel to Knee 19.5?
    SRP Seat reference to knee 21?

I have been reading forum threads. What a great site this is. I would never learn all of these things on my own. Thanks to all. If anyone has a ZRA 2 closer to my size I would love to see if we could make a deal.
    ThinMan

What do you mean by lowering the axle? What I'm picturing when you say that, would actually lower the rear seat height. But then you're trying to increase the rear seat height with a cushion of at least 3" thick and possibly using a solid seat pan.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinMan View Post
    Question: I am wondering if 24" tire with a taller profile exists?
    Yes. I researched this in relation to trying to find balloon or off-road tires for use outdoors. The outside tire diameter/profile will change if you go with wider tires and fill them to their max PSI. You might have issues with wheel spacing, but you could add spacers to the camber tube for that.

Below is a list of the tires I could find that come in 24-540 in wider widths. A few are made specifically for wheelchairs to not increase the tire profile (they are listed on the top marked with ***). Take a look at the Schwable Big Apple and Schwalbe Big Ben if you want tires without too much tread to use indoors as well as outdoors.

There is more information on our website with photo's and specs -- see 3.1 Current 540 Wheels and New Tires. I also made some rough calculations of the outside tire diameter compared with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 25-540 -- see 2.5 Tire Dimensions There is also a long thread about this on CCC Advice for best shock absorbing outdoor rear tires. The list is about a year old, and some of the links may not work.

Kenda Kobra K885 ***
    Kenda Nevegal K1010 ***
    Schwable Airborne***
    Rubena V41 Walrus ***
    Schwable Big Apple
    Schwalbe Big Ben
    Schwalbe Crazy Bob
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus
    Continental Town & Country
    Continental Traffic
    Maxxis Holy Roller
    Maxxis DTH
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I already reversed the footplate {thanks elarson) and it helped. I am looking into getting a flat seat pan and regular fabric seat back and buying a 3" seat cushion. This ZRA seems to have another inch upward the axle adjustmenrt (will this make the front wheels too low so I to buy 5" ones?). I don't think there is much else I can do. The seat depth is 16" and I think a 19" or 20" would be better. A 25" wheel would good too, but parts are so expensive that it wouldn't take much to make this ZRA cost more than a larger used ZRA that. I am reading tons of forum threads to be less clueless. Thanks for everyone's help. I am going you list a few of my main questions on a separate thread to shorten the search. I am so glad I found the CareCure website and all of you. Thanks again!

We got our first ultralight from someone in this forum that helped us a lot. It has worked out really well, but took a lot of extra equipment to adjust. I'm glad we did it, because I learned so much, and it was still cheaper than buying one new. At that time it was the "primary chair", but now it's the "upstairs chair" because we have a chair lift, and also the "backup chair", along with most of it's parts.

You may want to adjust the casters size and possibly the axle position on the fork. We switched from 4" to 5" FrogLeg Epic casters that you can buy online and are good (need to adjust toe-in-out). There are also spacers possible to increase the front seat height, which we also did to increase it by about an inch. I can search for the details if you need it-- let me know (chasmengr advised me and he was spot on).

We've done a lot of swapping around of parts, so even if this does not stay your "every day" chair, you can do it in ways that you can swap out the important parts should you need to get a larger chair later.

I'm ever so grateful for all of those who have helped us here and thought you might like our story The travelling wheelchair. It still makes me glad that there are such kind people in this world. Just tonight I was thinking how lucky we are to have 2 good wheelchairs after experiencing some very bad accidents by not having them.
    Last edited by elarson; 09-30-2015 at 01:41 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

HI everyone. So surprised. I had just discovered this site when I first posted my question to see if it was possible to make a juvenile older ZRA fit an adult. After that post, I was pleased to get several helpful suggestions. It felt great to get such a response and I thank you, but I assumed after a week, that was that. But, I have just logged in after quite a while to see that was not true and many more people have tried to help. I will read all and get back to you. Thanks again. So far, I have learned my chair modifications can have consequences. I reversed the foot plate for more leg room and in my first foray into the real world discovered footplate had become a "snowplow" that caught dead on the first elevated surface (in this case the dip in a sidewalk access cut) and that raising the frame means the brakes no longer touch the wheels (here a long downgrade parking lot outside Kohl's). Fortunately I live in a semi-rural area where this was funny, rather than embarrassing. By dumb luck I ran into a high end bike shop owner who has offered to try and help me and a metal shop man that is familiar with welding titanium. Hope it doesn't come to that, as my chair might end up looking like farm machinery. Talked with Tilite Co & asked about mistakes people made ordering chairs and was told heart breaking one was when DMEs gave bad measurements and/or advice. If finally forced to get a new chair (dim possibility), I would hate to have that happen. How has CareCure Community avoided this catastrophe? Has anyone used the book: The Wheelchair Evaluation: A Clinician's Guide 2nd ed and did it help? Thanks again Thinman

Good to hear you have made some progress. Usually every change you make needs to be counteracted by another change until you get things as optimal as possible. It's good that you have a high end bike shop person who can help. Hopefully you have the owners manual, but if not, the latest can be found at http://www.tilite.com/chairs_zra_lit.php. I've found that for many adjustments it helps reference the parts store: http://www.tilite.com/tilite_tipro.php. I would be very careful about any changes to the frame, not just because of cosmetics, but because of safety.

I've not used that book, but I've seen it referenced a lot. When we ordered I spent a lot of time searching on these forums and studying the order forms, documentation and parts. I think the most important thing when working with DMEs is to make sure that you understand as much as possible of what you want, and check every step of the process, and make sure you have full sign-off before anything is ordered, including receiving a CAD drawing that you sign-off on. I think it's best if you can also do your own measurements and fill out your own order form to compare with what the DME is doing.