Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Do with A Too Small ZRA

Making Do with A Too Small ZRA

Hi All
    I am a total novice to wheelchairs and would appreciate any feed back on my attempt to make do. I have nerve damage due to cervical bone spurs, surgery at C-3/C-4 which has left me with very limited ability to walk. Also, difficulty with lifting anything over my head. I live alone and need a wheelchair light enough for me to lift out of the car. I am trying for a ZRA series 2 but have not been successful with Medicare so far. I have a teenager size ZRA series 1 that I use in the house. I am 6?2 and 145lb. I know this will not be a great fit, but is it possible that by substituting larger (26??) front and back (5 ???) wheels, I can make this small chair usable?
    Thanks
    ThinMan

Small ZRA configuration
    TiLite ZRA FRAME W/STANDARD FEATURES $2695
    SATIN FINISH STD
    ANODIZED PACKAGE BLACK NCO
    A - SEAT WIDTH 16"
    B - SEAT DEPTH 16"
    C - 18.5" FRONT SEAT HEIGHT
    D - 15.5" REAR SEAT HEIGHT
    E - SEAT TO FOOTREST 13.50
    ALUMINUM ADJ HEIGHT/ANGLE BACKREST STD
    9.5"-12.5" FOLDING BACKREST W/PUSH $85
    F - 10" SEAT BACK HEIGHT
    G - BACK ANGLE 92 DEGREES
    H - CENTER OF GRAVITY 2.000
    I - -4" W/FOOTREST WIDTH 12.00"
    J - REAR WHEEL SPACING 1"
    K - 2 DEGREE CAMBER
    L - FRONT ANGLE 80 DEGREE
    ANGLE ADJUSTABLE FOOTPLATE NCO
    4" LIGHT-UP CASTERS $65
    24" (540) LOW FLANGE HUB STD
    24" (540) PRIMO TIRES NCO
    24" (540) ALUM BLK ANO HANDRIMS STD
    SHORT TAB HANDRIMS NCO
    SCISSOR LOCK WHEELLOCK $135
    COLORED UPHOLSTERY BLACK STD
    BACK UPHOLSTERY TENSION ADJUSTABLE $125
    TENSION ADJUSTABLE - BOLT ON SEAT SLING STD
    RIGID REMOVABLE SMALL $175
    STAINLESS QUICK RELEASE STD
    CALF STRAPS: BUCKLE ADJ BLACK NYLON WEB $15
    NEOPRENE FRAME PROTECTOR $45

You are only 145 lbs. Why are you saying it is a small chair? Is it because of E, the 13.5 seat to footrest distance? We are both 6'2". I agree. That distance on my chairs is 3+ inches more than that. Adding an inch in the rear and a half inch in the front won't do a lot, but you might be able to increase the foot rest spacing down some. You do need a cushion which are not cheap and they add height on their own. Which brings me to the question of where is this chair, Ebay? Don't buy something without knowing your personal specs. If you want to know if this chair fits, you probably need to try it.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Blog Entries
    I think that chair could probably be tweaked for you. A tallish cushion and/or lower footrest is a first. I'm 6'0" and need 15.5" seat-to-footrest. It depends where your height is, too: legs or trunk. Measure from back of knee to heel, seated, for a general measurement. Probably raising the back to max 12.5" also. Larger side guards and wheels too. 24" is probably too small for you. Rule of thumb is when seated (on cushion) arms should hang so that finger tips just reach center of wheel/quick release.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Your ZRA's 16x16 seat size is probably the most popular width and depth for adults. I see lots of demo chairs this size (I see even smaller with 15" width). I have a ZR that size and I'm 5'10" 200lbs. For me, 17" is good. My TR3 is that width. But many people look for a snug fit and my ZR is kind of nice. It does have really great side guards; you'll probably need those to hold you in; don't see them listed on your chair. Of course 13.5" seat-to-footrest is not enough for someone 6' 2". But you have a ZRA and there's a lot that can be adjusted.

You should adjust your rear seat height as much as needed and adjust your front fork height too. You can go with 5" casters if you wish but 4" are very common. There should be at least one hole available on your front forks to raise the front (each hole equals 1/2") Remember to keep at least 2" of clearance under the front of your footrest and adjust your fork geometry to keep them square (plumb) with the floor. The manual, available as a PDF download on TiLite's site, will show you how.

My husband is almost exactly your height/weight. He has a 16x18 ZRA. Although you might be a bit cramped on length, the width sounds about right. You could get a solid back like an ADI that you set a little further back. He uses 24" wheels and does fine with them. What others said about a higher cushion will also help. My husband has a Varilite Evolution PSV cushion that he adds air to adjust the height. A solid seat pan like an ADI carbon fiber will raise you up a little too. Here are his specs in the CAD respository if it helps: 16 x 18+1 85? TiLite ZRA 2 DU100082 Flip-up Footrests.
    Last edited by elarson; 09-13-2015 at 04:20 AM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

What doesn't fit you on the chair?

Thank you that diagram was useful

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who replied. It would be so amazing if I could get this chair workable in the outside world. I got it to see if could get a rigid titanium wheel chair chair in and out of my car (2002 Honda Accord Coupe) and to navigate the narrow upstairs of my 1850 house. I could and it does. The seat width (16") seems fine, but the seat depth (16") is short as I measure 20" (two fingers shy of back of knee). From the foot plate to bottom of seat is 15" and i am 17.5" (a seat cushion might fix this) but my lower leg ends up behind the knee which then sticks up in a point.

Forgot to mention my ZRA seems to have been modified from the Tilite spec list. The back is know a Jet Stream Pro and the wheels are 24" Spinergy SPOX

You should be able to move the seat back a little on the Jet Stream Pro -- the hardware allows adjustment for seat depth. Another thing to play with might be to flip the footplate to get your legs extended a bit more. Maybe others can comment on this -- here is the drawing:
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).