Thread: Homemade paralell bars or standing bars with pvc?

Homemade paralell bars or standing bars with pvc?

I found this video of how to make your own did station from pvc It seems not too difficult. I was wondering if it was made taller for a person to stand up straight and hold onto while doing squats or practicing balancing if it would still be stable? Also wondering if pvc could be used to make a set of paralell bars? Appreciate your feedback. Thank you, Ian https://youtu.be/CZXoPkh8PxU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG0iFT5j6qk

If you are taller and depending on how much you weigh, metal pipe might be an option. Lowe's or Home Depot should be able to thread the pipe for you after you get dimensions. Or you could look for a local welder to do the bars, then two layers of plywood to mount it to. That's how mine were done.

what kind of exercises do you do with yours and about what was the total cost?

Homemade Bars

I had these in 1980 made from pipe, plywood and the height was adjustable.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ^^(A)^^

Are you still working out, practacing?

PVC is meant for carrying liquids, not bearing weight

Quote Originally Posted by tryharder View Post
    what kind of exercises do you do with yours and about what was the total cost?
    Not sure on the cost, my father brought it over and it was years ago. I have a reciprocating gait orthosis (RGO) that I can put on and it locks me up in a standing position. I can waddle back and forth on the bars by shifting weight (not actually moving my legs). But mostly I will roll under them and use my arms to stand up and put weight on my legs. Do a few dips for exercise. Sometimes just get upright to prove to people who haven't seen me stand that I am taller than them.

Tman that's awesome that you have the ability to be out of the chair for a bit, keep at it. I understand Steve. Do you make custom bikes for people with injuries? I know their not cheap. I thought of getting one a while back but can't afford it anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    PVC is meant for carrying liquids, not bearing weight
    Steve is correct about this warning. It seems strong, but you won't think so when you see how brittle it is. There are stronger versions of it, schedule 80 is one I purchased for a project once. It was expensive and only came in 20 foot lengths.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.