Thread: Bowel routine suggesions

Bowel routine suggesions

I'm so over this shit literally. I can't get a bowel routine down. I'm either constipated for days and constantly cramping or if I take stool softeners I cant tell when I need to go. I use magic bullets but then I shit randomly for the next two days. Eating is like Russian roulette because I never know if I'm gonna have to hurry to the bedroom. Yesterday I ate half a brownie and within minutes I was cramping and never made it to bed in time. I have to do my bowel routine from bed because my bathroom isn't accessible for me. I'm really trying to put myself first and that was a huge problem for years, never creating time for me. Never knowing when I can set aside time. I rely on one person and if their busy, not feeling good or whatever I'm screwed. I've been trying to find help with setting my bathroom up but I can't find anything. This is just one more thing that traps me in this prison I call a home. I can't even have lunch with friends in case I may crap myself. There has got to be something that will work. I'd like to do it every other night. I think my intestines are always full so when I do go it's like opening a flood gate.. is that possible?
    It is not how we fall that defines us..
    It is how we rise.

Have you thought about getting a shower/commode chair? You would have to transfer to it but you could then be in a sitting position. You would need someone who can do bag swaps but I would think your skin would be better off and the bullet should produce results fairly quickly. Real magic bullets make a real difference over the ones you can get at the local drug store because they are water based instead of glycerin based and melt much faster.

You need to get into a regular routine so your body can become efficient. The same time of day every other day should give you the results you are looking for. A shower/commode chair will also allow you to roll into the shower once the bathroom is done.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Yes, it's possible for your bowels to be so full that consuming one more thing tips you over the edge into crapping. And that feels completely miserable.

I agree with ekephart - real magic bullets make a difference, shower/commode chair helps, getting a routine in place also helps.

If your bowels feel very full, or you are significantly constipated, it might be worth going to a physiatrist and having an abdominal x-ray to assess how full you are and whether or not you have areas of impaction and if so, what kind of intervention (ie add senna or magnesium or fiber to routine, do brief course of bisacodyl/miralax/lactulosd, do colonoscopy prep for clean out) would be appropriate.

Thanks guys, I do have real magic bullets I order them online. I can't have a commode chair, I have no help at home during the day except my nine yr old who I home school. I'd rather save her from the shitty bag or bucket swapping. As for the shower I freaking wish! I have a tub and at the present time sit on a folding chair when I do get to actually enjoy a shower. I don't have the money, to get anything else and even if I did have a shower chair and it would fit in my tub, I can't get in it by myself anyway, like I said my bathroom isn't accessible. I have done extended research and can't find any help with home modifications in my area. I was going to take out a loan but cant because of my fixed income, not to mention I couldn't afford a loan payment on top of my bills I already try to pay. I have no blockage, Ive already had that checked. Ill try the same time every other night thing...
    It is not how we fall that defines us..
    It is how we rise.

I only use Magic Bullets on rare occasions and when I do I only use half of one. You might want to try that out to see what happens.

When I talk to patients about bowel programs - consistency and flow

Consistency - hard? or soft?

Flow - does it move? or not move?

If it is hard - need a softener
    If it is soft or watery - back off on softener some

Does it move? - if yes hurray but does it move too fast like explosive? - back off on the stimulants
    If yes too loose? then add fiber to bulk it up
    Does it not move? if Yes it doesn't then you need a stimulant to push it through

If magic bullets don't work do you have hand function? if you do then you could try a Enemeez or Mini enema (which consists of liquid stool softener) They are pretty efficient in how they work and don't leave a mucus discharge later

The last thing I recommend is keeping to a routine and sticking with it. It may take a while for your body to catch up to the schedule.
    Keep track of what works and what doesn't - yes a journal

pbr

Why can you not have a commode chair?

Do you not have PCA availability through Medicaid?

I know that Medicare does not care if you shower and pooping in the bed is OK with them but what is your current insurance/assistance situation? I understand that asking your 9 year old to swap poop bags is unpleasant but...

Is the folding chair that you take to the shower adaptable to cut out and place a chuck pad under (or even several sheets of newspaper)? You need to do what you have to do in order to go. Your 9 year old is old enough to understand that everone needs to go, you need some help.

Are you inserting the bullet yourself? Can you clean yourself. This is something that I would not ask a 9 year old to do but swapping bags or dumping poop is reasonable.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

I have been dealing with slow turns to explosion bowel problem for years. Been using Silver bullets for years and tried various changes in my diet with more fiber and water pills and Senna and bisacodyl miralax and actulose but still had bowel problems so about 60 days ago I had colonoscopy(sp). It is still a shitty mess but manageable and I don't leave presents like I used to.

As far as a commode chair next to your bed and possible house modifications it all depends on your resources. Medicaid is the first place I would look into, don't know your income or how your state manages Medicaid but I used to be a case manager for this state and have seen over and over where there is a will theres a way. I got bogged down with the problems around my SCI but have found that if I just do 1 thing today to try and better any given situation I often get out of my head and have an ok day.

Sending good thoughts your way Shena hope you find some answers.

If I can give one of the most life changing tips as far as bowel management goes, it would be probiotics.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

Keep a diary - Keep it simple - Keep your cool (be patient with yourself)

probiotics could help - especially if you had previously undiagnosed symptoms of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)

pbr