Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Car question

Wow! This brings up many memories as well as issues I've had!
    I think the MR2 is perfect for the hubby. Economical as hell and fun as well! (I'm a seat of the pants kind of guy and sometimes impractical, but after a long look, decided my Lotus 7S was not a candidate for hand controls!)
    I used to deal with the crew at Moss Motors East when they had the store near Dover. I'm Phil of Phils Foreign Car Service (www.philscars.com) and British cars led me down my path of destruction, although it was an italian motorcycle that ended it.

I've spent time considering the chair-rack for the MR2 and I think it's easily implemented and would have integrity.
    Starting with the base as outlined in your link to the MR2 site: easy to accomplish; I have M22/2.0 die at my shop but would prefer to find a couple threaded hardware, cut the heads off, and weld them into a steel tube to get out to where the lateral cross-bar/base for the fabrication is. This will need to be robust so any torsional loads on the cross-bar don't allow twisting, because the chair frame will go up the rear of the car and cantilever over the deck-lid. The tubes that the M22 bolts protrude from need to be sensibly large diameter to provide a rigid base and the cross bar should be ~.120" wall rectangular tubing.

Two attaching tabs are welded along the top of the crossbar with 1/2"+ holes at top; axle of chair is pinned in place with "pip" pins or spare axles.
    Seat-back gets folded up and bungeed closed.

The OD of a stock 00 MR2 tire is 23.1" and the height of the vehicle is 49", probably somewhere behind the windshield. Using a guess of Ti wheel OD of 25" I played with perspective and guestimated for comparisons by selecting the proper enlargement of the wheelchair prints based on perspective-extrapolated dimensions of rear of car in photo. To actually make this work, it would need to be "hands-on". I'd love to do it for materials, but am in NJ.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by pfcs49; 09-18-2015 at 04:55 PM.

The second part needed is a vertical stay to keep the frame upright and cantilevered over the engine bay without the casters hitting.
    A secondary purpose would be to store/mount the wheels in transit.
    Simple enough to fabricate out of round mild steel tubing 3/4-1' OD, either as a "T" or two uprights with a flat across the top; either way, the cross-piece needs to exceed the width of the chair frame so it can support it. Holes drilled through the main crossbar to drop it into, and washers welded near the bottom for it to seat onto (better yet, get appropriate sized split collars from MSC, etc, and it will look professional and be adjustable for height.)
    Simplest? Bungee everything, but I would go a step further.
    I would get 1/2" ID tubing and cut it to length so my axles would register and lock into it, and tag one as low as I could while mounting the wheel on it so the wheel holds down the cantilevered frame against the support we just made; the other, I'd move it over ~13" and raise it so it comes up through the spokes of the first wheel and accepts the second.
    It would look real sporty! Kinda like those prints of the old races at Brooklands with the tow wire wheel spares hanging off the rear of the car!

When not in use, only the big crossbar would remain with the two mounting tabs for the chair's axle protruding up a bit; the support bracket & wheel mount pulls up and out for storage.

Pardon my poor artistry. Also, this is shown without the removable tubular brace/wheel mounting part
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ah, hope Moss was good to you. My dad owns all of them now and I don't even know where they are all located other than England and Santa Barbara. I know he has some others though...

My step dad on the other hand is a Ducati guy. Doesn't ride much anymore but sill keeps a beautiful hand made one in the garage...

I 'think' I understand what you are talking about fabricating but I can't for the life of me figure out where my wheels go? The main reason I got my Pilot was because I could roll my chair right up into the back and not have to do anything to it. Don't have to take the cushion off or fold the back down, nothing. I just lock the brakes and slip an easy bungie over it and off I go. Easy to unload as well. That is about as much energy and pain as I can take to get it in the Pilot and hold onto the side of the car to get to the front seat.

The one thing that I really hate doing to taking apart my chair. It saps vital energy that I just don't have. So my goal would be to do as little as possible to the chair when it is on the car. I know taking off the cushion and folding the back down will be necessary and there is barely enough room for the cushion inside the car. (can't sit on it as I am super tall and my head would be above the windshield!)

So I was hoping that the chair with the wheels on and the back folded down could roll up on the back and be strapped down easily. Otherwise I won't be able to handle it all by myself.

Does this make sense and would a luggage rack from my dad be easier and would it work? I am guessing we would have to add some kind of hard mesh-like base above the bars because while the back wheels would be fine I don't know how the front of my chair would not sink between the bars...?

I designed the rack for your husband to put your chair into it. I assumed he would be driving.if that interests you then I could explain about the tires later.