Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robot Millionaire Takes a Shot at Fixing Severed Spinal Cords

Thumbs up Robot Millionaire Takes a Shot at Fixing Severed Spinal Cords

On a cloudy Wednesday morning in the Tokyo suburb of Tsukuba, Yoshiyuki Sankai points excitedly to a slide of severed spinal cords. They belong to rats, and he's used cell technology to help reconnect the nerves.

LINK:

Thumbs up to him for blending the ReWalk design concept with a Star Wars Stormtrooper costume:
    http://thegreatgeekmanual.com/blog/cyberdyne-hal-5
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_2004656.html

Cyberdyne was one of 3 robotics companies to go public last year along with ReWalk Robotics and Esko Bionics. The Bloomberg article is written for the potential investor. Japanese subsidies for regenerative medical research seem similar to U.S. subsidies for clean energy.
    What distinguishes this CEO's robotics company from the other two? It's his plan to combine a regenerative therapy with the robotic assisted movement.
    Last edited by 2drwhofans; 09-05-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Forbes has his net worth at $1 billion.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I imagine the full body suit will be used in manufacturing, industry and off loading weight during heavy lifting. I think the lower half suit shown during their gait training is the one they would most likely use for medical purposes. It'll be interesting to see what cells he plans to utilize in his proposals. The changes in regulations in Japan will surely make things move a bit faster over there.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    The changes in regulations in Japan will surely make things move a bit faster over there.
    In Japan, being fast and being first sometimes doesn't work out well:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...scientists-lie

http://www3.riken.jp/stap/e/c13document5.pdf

I agree with you that the robotic suits are gong to find their niche in reducing work-related injuries ( or maybe reducing workers ).
    Last edited by 2drwhofans; 09-05-2015 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    Forbes has his net worth at $1 billion.
    Wow. Interesting! I see that now...

"Keys to the company’s growth are winning more regulatory approvals for HALs as medical devices, which would enable insurance coverage, and expanding the use of the technology. One use could be health monitoring to catch, for example, the predictors of strokes. Germany has already approved the robot legs for treating injured workers and allows workers’ compensation insurance to cover the cost.
    Sankai expects U.S. Food & Drug Administration approval this year for medical use. With the end of clinical trials, the company filed an application last month to use HALs for medical purposes in Japan and could gain approval this year. HAL is now used in Japan for nonmedical purposes only. Cyberdyne bases its production at its research and development center and headquarters in Tsukuba, but it plans to build a plant in Fukushima Prefecture next year".

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jsimms/2015/04/01/yoshiyuki-sankais-cyborgs-serve-japans-sick-and-elderly/

Neurologic-Controlled Exoskeletal Neuro-Rehibilitation was presented by Thomas Schildhauer, MD at the Seattle Science Foundation and Swedish Neuroscience Institute Grand Rounds. Dr. Schildhauer discusses the exciting developments in the use of the Cyberdyne robotic exoskeleton, HAL, in treatment of acute and chronic spinal cord injury.

LINK

Neurologic-Controlled Exoskeletal Neuro-Rehibilitation was presented by Thomas Schildhauer, MD at the Seattle Science Foundation and Swedish Neuroscience Institute Grand Rounds. Dr. Schildhauer discusses the exciting developments in the use of the Cyberdyne robotic exoskeleton, HAL, in treatment of acute and chronic spinal cord injury.

LINK
    Concept is very viable! I know it's true from my experience. Only with gait treadmill training just twice per week (40 min walk) I was able to drop weight support from 75 kilos down to almost zero and my legs producing some good steps. If I have chance to increase frequency of the training or to use HAL I feel I would progress even more.
    I think combining HAL or similar (Keeogo in USA) with excessive Gait and than just walker high frequency training is way to go.
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by comad View Post

Concept is very viable! I know it's true from my experience. Only with gait treadmill training just twice per week (40 min walk) I was able to drop weight support from 75 kilos down to almost zero and my legs producing some good steps. If I have chance to increase frequency of the training or to use HAL I feel I would progress even more.
    I think combining HAL or similar (Keeogo in USA) with excessive Gait and than just walker high frequency training is way to go.
    Is the Keeogo a closed loop system like HAL?

Is the Keeogo a closed loop system like HAL?
    Not quite sure what closed loop means - I know this - Keeogo robotic legs got sensors
    and recognize even slight effort of getting up or stepping forward and assisting in that effort,
    also helping with balance. More about how it's works here.
    I was observing 19 years girl with very impaired walking, how she has improved tremendously using
    Keeogo Robotic Legs and combining ZeroG gait walking support system.
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine