Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TiLite TR chair aaarghhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by spinner View Post
    . The expected life of the frame is five years.
    Just caught this...I guess they have a sense of humor with the 'lifetime' part.

Anyway, looks like they put a hefty piece of titanium that the castor shaft resides in for the shaft to bend like that, and the titanium tubing not fracturing. Impressive. I sort of get the feeling some red Loctite or similar might be found in that caster shaft barrel. Might be a good idea to have a propane torch handy to heat that up if it gets combative during the extraction process.

Regarding warranty (5 years), when I broke my 1st TR, it took a month or two to break it. If yours made it past this timeframe, it'll probably be good for much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    ...clip...Regarding warranty (5 years), when I broke my 1st TR, it took a month or two to break it. If yours made it past this timeframe, it'll probably be good for much longer.
    What broke on yours Andy? It might influence NW Will.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    So just spoke to the DME, by the time they've got the insurance coding, they think the paper work will take 30-45 days.. I forgot to ask if that's business days !!!
    I called tilite, and they said if you do it yourself it voids the warranty....clip...
    Will you or the insurance be responsible for shipping costs? I ask because I have no clue who pays, but the total out of pocket expense to me would weigh in my decision to risk the loss of warranty.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner View Post
    I just look up the part numbers on Tilite's web site and order the parts from Sportaid and do it myself.
    Sounds good.. but the tilite parts page does not list a number for that part.. the part is there in the pictures, but no number.
    I called tilite to get the part, and they said it had to be sent in !!!

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Will you or the insurance be responsible for shipping costs? I ask because I have no clue who pays, but the total out of pocket expense to me would weigh in my decision to risk the loss of warranty.
    Insurance.

At this point it's the time that is annoying.
    and rolling on a bent caster bolt, is really annoying, surprisingly annoying. I love how nobody in the industry cares, I get more sympathy getting the car fixed.

Insurance.

and rolling on a bent caster bolt, is really annoying, surprisingly annoying. I love how nobody in the industry cares, I get more sympathy getting the car fixed.
    This sucks, it could be Halloween before this is fixed. What I find most frustrating is that Pasco is not that far from you, but when insurance and DME's get involved Pasco might as well be on the other side of the country and only open once a week in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    What broke on yours Andy? It might influence NW Will.
    It was the frame cracking around a hole for the bolt that the backrest hinge latched onto was located. The hole for that was just drilled into bare tubing, and having to support the weight carried by the backrest lead to a stress riser...and the resulting crack. The next frame actually had a flange tube welded in the hole, they called that a 'reinforced' frame. Worked fine after that.

Sounds good.. but the tilite parts page does not list a number for that part.. the part is there in the pictures, but no number.
    Well that sucks. Looks like some custom piece also in the drawing

I can imagine, the footrest slipped down on mine for a day till I could fix it, the pulling from the twisted front end was quite annoying. I don't want to think what a totally bent caster is like. One thing I learned early on is that industries such as this seem to have a patronizing attitude towards their customers, so much easier to just handle everything yourself. Heck, even the TiLite rep here called me 'cute' when I simply threw in a bit of trivia on the finer technical points of powdercoat stripping after an inquiry about their finishing process used. With your caster shaft unfortunately I guess you have to deal with them it would seem.

I doubt that fork stem is threaded in place, especially with that set screw design. I would think it is pressed in place, possibly with a fluted design shaft. I'd bet that TiLite's warning not to "attempt to unscrew" this fork stem is just to simplify their warning for people attempting to do what looks obvious. You'll probably need some type of puller (possibly hydraulic) to remove the stem. Proceed with caution.

FROM TILITE MANUAL:
    "WARNING
    The fork stem is permanently installed in the Bullet Caster Housing. Do not attempt to unscrew the fork stem or the set screw. If it should become necessary to replace the fork stem on these chairs, this repair can only be performed by TiLite at our factory. If you ignore this Warning, you may fall, tip over or lose control of the wheelchair and seriously injure yourself or others or damage the wheelchair."

It's a TR2 they couldn't get the dump my PT required with a TR3 !! That curved piece at the back on a TR3 didn't allow the axle to be in the right place.
    FYI: The TR3 is available in two frame styles depending on the COG you choose. From TiLite TR3 Order form:

Thanks for the info. I guess it was fortunate I didn't attempt to take it on.

Another thumbs up for CareCure

I have close to the B. square rear frame. except the horizontal end piece is pushed to the very end, and my axle is pushed as far back as it can go, so it would be directly under back folding mechanism.

That's what they told me.. I got excited for a second thinking I'd get a TR3... apart from this bent stem the chair has been pretty ok, just caster replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post
    I doubt that fork stem is threaded in place, especially with that set screw design. I would think it is pressed in place, possibly with a fluted design shaft. I'd bet that TiLite's warning not to "attempt to unscrew" this fork stem is just to simplify their warning for people attempting to do what looks obvious. You'll probably need some type of puller (possibly hydraulic) to remove the stem. Proceed with caution.

FROM TILITE MANUAL:
    "WARNING
    The fork stem is permanently installed in the Bullet Caster Housing. Do not attempt to unscrew the fork stem or the set screw. If it should become necessary to replace the fork stem on these chairs, this repair can only be performed by TiLite at our factory. If you ignore this Warning, you may fall, tip over or lose control of the wheelchair and seriously injure yourself or others or damage the wheelchair."

FYI: The TR3 is available in two frame styles depending on the COG you choose. From TiLite TR3 Order form:

I have had mine apart quite a few times, I take mine to the ocean, which makes it creak, so I disassemble it and grease the parts.

It's a nut accessed by taking off the caster - the Quickie has an allen bolt (I have one here side by side) the Ti has a nut.

it has a dust cap, two bearings, a bushing, and the threaded "post" which is actually kept from spinning by the bolt on the Titanium leg, which goes through a shaft.
    The post interfaces with this shaft, but it just keeps it from spinning.

All the guts come out towards the bottom.

The bushings should be greased, the bearings just are slip fit (that's what was spinning & creaking) and you can pry off the dust seals with a blade & re-pack them.

You need to be able to get the snap ring off……..with snap-ring pliers

I think you bent the post.

Anything else?