Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TiLite TR chair aaarghhhhhh

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

TiLite TR chair aaarghhhhhh

Just need somewhere to scream !

The bolt that the caster forks bolt to, to attach the caster forks to the chair has bent!

Looks like it's held in place by an allen(hex) bolt to the chair frame.

Turns out you have to send your chair back to the factory to have those bolts changed.. otherwise you break the warranty of the chair!!!

That is my aaargh.

Anyone ever change those bolts themselves?

How long is a warranty on a tilite frame anyway?

So when I throw my DME into the mix I'm guessing I'll be without my chair for 2 weeks. brilliant bloody brilliant .. damn city broken concrete sidewalks.

Do you have a single sided fork? And are you talking the bolt holding the wheel on or the caster swivel bolt? Either way you do have a problem and it irks me your DME can't resolve it at their shop.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

regular two sided fork.

the bolt that the caster swivels around. it's attached to the frame of the chair.

Suddenly making the quickie design look really good .

Is this a TR3?

How the heck did it bend?

Blog Entries
    Is that what they call their "bullet caster housing", or something like that? Must be something touchy about installing those fork stems. Since it's a hardened steel stem threading into a titanium frame I bet it's easy to strip. Strip that thing out and the frame is ruined. Understandable why they'd want to do it themselves. It's a clean look but I'm not a fan of the design. While you're at it, why not upgrade to their titanium stems? Fork stems are notoriously heavy little parts. Ti may be less prone to bending also. Better "memory" when flexing, doesn't micro-crack, etc. So I've heard. I'm not a metallurgist.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Yes, upgrade to titanium stems if you send it in.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

It's a TR2 they couldn't get the dump my PT required with a TR3 !!
    That curved piece at the back on a TR3 didn't allow the axle to be in the right place.

It got bent when the caster got caught in some broken concrete that is supposed to be a city sidewalk.

So just spoke to the DME, by the time they've got the insurance coding, they think the paper work will take 30-45 days.. I forgot to ask if that's business days !!!
    I called tilite, and they said if you do it yourself it voids the warranty.

Someone out there must have done this themselves, I wouldn't have thought twice about undoing the hex bolt and pulling it out myself, if the DME wasn't fixing something else on the chair and he said they could fix that too!

of course they didn't really know!

And what are you supposed to while they have your chair... luckily I have a spare ... but if this was my only chair?

So what happens if your chair is europe? you have to send it back to Washington ?

And the warranty, how longs it last ? and what does it really cover.

According to the DME they charge to do all this. and then shipping ? what a joke.

good side.. unbent stem bolt

Bent stem bolt

and the allen(hex) bolt that I presume holds it in place.

I just look up the part numbers on Tilite's web site and order the parts from Sportaid and do it myself. I had problems with a caster bolt so I changed out the entire caster mount assembly I have an old Zra and they had changed the entire assembly and I couldn't get the old parts. It was a lot easer to do it myself than deal with the DME and insurance. It was probably just as cheep, after the DME adds their markup and insurance dicks around for six weeks my copay would probably have been almost as much as I paid out of pocket.
    A. LIFETIME
    TiLite warrants the wheelchair frame (including the cross-braces, if any) against defects in materials and workmanship for life, so
    long as the original purchaser uses the wheelchair. The expected life of the frame is five years.
    B. ONE YEAR
    Subject to the Limitations and Exclusions below, TiLite warrants all TiLite–made wheelchair components, including the Tension
    Adjustable by Straps Backrest Upholstery, against defects in materials and workmanship for one year from the date of purchase,
    provided normal use. A replacement product or part that has been installed in accordance with TiLite’s instructions assumes the
    remaining warranty of the original product or 90 days from the date of repair or replacement, whichever is longer.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I'd change that bad boy myself too, but I'm a rebel without a clue, so there's that.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Ditto for me. Especially living in Europe as you mentioned, it would not be worth it to ship the chair and wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Yeah, I'd change that bad boy myself too, but I'm a rebel without a clue, so there's that.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).