Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TiLite TR chair aaarghhhhhh

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    From Steve's post it sounds like he is taking the caster forks off the stem bolt and greasing the assembly. There would be no reason to take the stem bolt off to grease it.
    I'm not certain, but from reading his post the threaded part he is referring to is the bottom part of the stem bolt which holds the forks in place with a nut.

I'm interested in the top part of the stem bolt where it attaches to the frame.

Well called the DME yesterday Numotion. And they have yet to call Tilite to get a quote to even pass to the insurance company to get the ok to get this fixed. let alone worry about how long tilite will take to fix it, they probably have a pretty good turn around!

I know it's nothing new, but I am still continually blown away about how crap these companies are.

Yeah, I see what you mean, could be. With it just slid into the housing sans threading I wonder how it stays right with zero play? That little set screw doesn't seem like it would do that job well. If so, take out the set screw and the thing should just fall off. That'd be easy to fix! Maybe it's so tight it had to be pressed in? Huh. Certainly does seem like a pain in the arse to get fixed!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    From Steve's post it sounds like he is taking the caster forks off the stem bolt and greasing the assembly. There would be no reason to take the stem bolt off to grease it.
    I'm not certain, but from reading his post the threaded part he is referring to is the bottom part of the stem bolt which holds the forks in place with a nut.

I'm interested in the top part of the stem bolt where it attaches to the frame.

Well called the DME yesterday Numotion. And they have yet to call Tilite to get a quote to even pass to the insurance company to get the ok to get this fixed. let alone worry about how long tilite will take to fix it, they probably have a pretty good turn around!

I know it's nothing new, but I am still continually blown away about how crap these companies are.
    These are very simple assemblies.

* remove the caster wheel

* remove the nut or bolt that this procedure allows you access to

* take out that allen bolt you see on the chair frame extension

* It's all now in your hands

In the 10 days this thread has been up have you tried at all?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    These are very simple assemblies.

* remove the caster wheel

* remove the nut or bolt that this procedure allows you access to

* take out that allen bolt you see on the chair frame extension

* It's all now in your hands

In the 10 days this thread has been up have you tried at all?

As a manufacturer yourself, any idea why doing what you describe invalidates the TiLite warranty?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Maybe it is an interference fit where they freeze the castor stem and heat the titanium and press in the stem. When the temperatures return to normal operating temperature you are left with a zero tolerance fit. Maybe the set screw is there to help with installation and/or as a backup just in case.

I used to do this when installing bearings to axle shafts. Freeze the axle shaft so it shrinks just enough to slip on the bearing on. When temperatures stabilize, the bearing race is installed and will not rotate on the axle shaft.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TiRods View Post
    Maybe it is an interference fit where they freeze the castor stem and heat the titanium and press in the stem. When the temperatures return to normal operating temperature you are left with a zero tolerance fit. Maybe the set screw is there to help with installation and/or as a backup just in case.

I used to do this when installing bearings to axle shafts. Freeze the axle shaft so it shrinks just enough to slip on the bearing on. When temperatures stabilize, the bearing race is installed and will not rotate on the axle shaft.
    I was thinking some form of press fit, too, but Steve Garro seemed to imply it's easy to get out. ???

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    As a manufacturer yourself, any idea why doing what you describe invalidates the TiLite warranty?
    Only if you F it up.

You can change all the bent parts on my bikes you want, just as long as you don't say, strip the bottom bracket threads - THAT's not covered

It's a big mystery right now, be it just a setscrew, Loctite, interference, whatever-fit. Maybe TiLite can chime in with how that is done? (just for curiosity sake)

Without a new shaft, it does not matter how it comes apart.

edit:
    However, the ones on my ZR 1 look like they are about the same thing, so there is a possibility someone here has something that would work.
    Last edited by nonoise; 09-14-2015 at 03:26 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Without a new shaft, it does not matter how it comes apart.

edit:
    However, the ones on my ZR look like they are about the same thing, so there is a possibility someone here has something that would work.
    Indeed. I have no dog in this fight, as they say, I don't (and probably won't ever) own a TiLite. I'm merely being curious. Seems like more than a little hassle for something that is apparently quite easy to replace (according to the info presented here), much less the warranty invalidation for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Indeed. I have no dog in this fight, as they say, I don't (and probably won't ever) own a TiLite. I'm merely being curious. Seems like more than a little hassle for something that is apparently quite easy to replace (according to the info presented here), much less the warranty invalidation for doing so.
    You gotta remember, those wheelchair people are real inept. And the DME's are masters at the trade. And the factory...they have halos over their heads! lol

Speaking of DME's, I recently had an interesting look-over and fix what some DME did to a Colours chair. Serious case of WTF, too much to get into. People really need to fix their own stuff, that saying 'do it right yourself' applies like 4X over when it comes to wheelchairs IMO.