Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dr Wise Young: Why am I Happy and Angry ???

All very true what everyone says. The media is not reality. They just want to sell newspapers and "happy stories" sells.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

It's not much, but whenever I read an article that does actually manage to get it right (for example), I go out of my way to contact the writer with a thank you, explaining that it's sadly rare to see sci stories that aren't full of medical misinformation or that bank almost entirely on the "willpower" and/ or "inspiration to others" angle. I also try to explain that it's not just about getting the facts straight for the sake of accuracy, but because the need for cure research is urgent and that poorly-reported stories about recovery obscure or even negate that necessity.

I suppose it might be more effective to contact the writers who don't get it right, but more often than not those articles are simply attributed to the AP or some other anonymous news service that didn't take the time to do in-depth interviews or background research. Which is why it would be really nice is some big sci organization would just issue some press guidelines about reporting on paralysis issues in a more accurate and responsible manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Well, no, it's not simple, which is why we need better sci reporting in the media. I know plenty of completes who were big, strong, young guys when they broke their necks in diving accidents. Sure, high speed vehicular trauma likely increases the odds of incurring complete injuries, but regardless, these feel-good recovery stories tend to stoke misinformation. That's the point at issue here.
    Obviously not big enough lol you can be massive an incredibly strong but doesn't matter it's all in the deltoids, trapezoids and neck muscles, Because of boxing and powerlifting these areas were incredibly condition for me which is why I didn't break my neck in the pool. Or when I was hit by a speeding truck. Everyone I know that did break their neck in the pool is a minor injury in comparison to mine. None the less any cervical injury has the potential to tear lives to shreds

Unfortunately, we were not taught something like how to recover from this, successfully, as a child. I think that is missing in our brains. That no joke. I really mean that. The second issue, probably just as complex, I think spinal cord is a dynamically changing piece in our bodies. With the dynamics, each one of us is different. This is not a broken leg where everyone in the work has same routine for recovery. These continually changing dynamics really makes it tough. I was at doctor short time ago, I asked her, "How many pieces are there to this puzzle?" She just smiled. Not ignorantly.

I agree that no amount, Of positivity or willpower can stop the injury from taking it's toll. But if I ever do get this chair myself, Yes it will be because I worked harder than others, same with anyone else that a complete quadriplegic for three years and gets out of it. And it's not going to be because of physiotherapy alone.

Doctors are most likely to give you at the outset the most pessimistic so as not to disappoint you, give you false hope.

Know that the way it was I was first injured.

This way any improvement is a positive.