Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr Wise Young: Why am I Happy and Angry ???

Blog Entries

Dr Wise Young: Why am I Happy and Angry ???

Oh Dr Young,
    No, this is not a misplaced SSRI question, or some half-crazed rant.

On tonight?s local New York (Eyewitness News), Channel 7: Heartwarming story of a 17 year old boy?s challenge following his traumatic accident consisting of diving into shallow water at NY Jones Beach State Park in June this summer. The report specifically stated the boy, Nico Florintine (sp) suffered a double vertebrae break, ?piercing his spinal cord? leaving him unable to move.

THE HAPPY:
    News video briefly showed him in bed, (then boom), the video showed him walking after just 3 months, moving his hands in PT and preparing to attend his last year of high school. Certainly good news for him and his family, no one knows better than we just how lucky he truly is v. how miserable it could have ended.

The report continued by interviewing his doctors from NCMU, Nassau County Medical Center (not exactly on anyone?s radar for being a ?model center for spinal blah, blah, as I know).
    Yet the narrator attributes Nico?s quick recovery to the following 2 reasons:
    1) The rapid action of first responders getting him to the hospital for surgery and,
    2) The boy?s ?power of positive thinking?
    Impossible not to bring a smile to even a serial killers?s face.

THE ANGRY:
    What is this power of positive thinking, and how come I didn't get me some of this when I got hurt? I known I tried like hell to walk. What did I do wrong?

BTW, no mention if the injury was incomplete, he didn?t appear to be a walking quad, no magical stem cells, protein, decompression, or even steroids, but the doctor did claim it was ?one in a hundred chance for this to happen?

I always wonder where they pull those figures from, the "1% chance" or "3%" or "2.2642%" or whatever seemingly random number they pull out of the air to enhance the impression that recovery from sci is about willpower and "beating the odds," like the lottery, only, determined by one's fortitude rather than pure neurological fluke. I guess that's the only kind of story people want to hear? It's annoying enough when reporters don't bother to learn/ report on the differences between complete and incomplete, but why do doctors add to the general ignorance by throwing out those magic numbers with no further explanation? You see that all the time with these stories.

Well it's very simple, this kid dived into a pool!! That's 100% going to be a minor injury if anything at all, I don't know how you were injured but let's take me for example I rolled my car 10 times going to 160 km an hour no seatbelt launched out the rear passenger window! I've spent thousands of dollars on physiotherapy, and for a long time was going every day I would also try to visualize myself moving think about my body moving etc. but shockingly I haven't recovered a single thing.

On another note I use to be built like a brick house, i once dived into the shallow end of a pool smashed my head off the ground nothing came from that other then a sore head.

From what I remember, the Doctor I had back in 1981 when I got injured told me there was no rhyme or reason, they had seen Spinal Cords shredded that looked beyond hope yet the person would later be walking on the hand they had seen cords that looked perfectly normal to the human eye yet the person would spend the rest of their lives as a complete Para or Quad. I think it all just depends on the injury to the Spinal Cord and as we all know once it's done it's done. All the praying, positive thinking or positive karma is not going to change our reality.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Well it's very simple, this kid dived into a pool!! That's 100% going to be a minor injury if anything at all, I don't know how you were injured but let's take me for example I rolled my car 10 times going to 160 km an hour no seatbelt launched out the rear passenger window! I've spent thousands of dollars on physiotherapy, and for a long time was going every day I would also try to visualize myself moving think about my body moving etc. but shockingly I haven't recovered a single thing.

On another note I use to be built like a brick house, i once dived into the shallow end of a pool smashed my head off the ground nothing came from that other then a sore head.
    Well, no, it's not simple, which is why we need better sci reporting in the media. I know plenty of completes who were big, strong, young guys when they broke their necks in diving accidents. Sure, high speed vehicular trauma likely increases the odds of incurring complete injuries, but regardless, these feel-good recovery stories tend to stoke misinformation. That's the point at issue here.

Even worse are the injured that profess that their will to get better made them walk again. I came across one on Facebook who I suspect is falsely raising money.

I ride the same. I call it the "roller coaster." Am fine, pissed, fine, pissed.... And it just keeps going. I wish it would smooth out and just give me a chance.

This is a very common style of reporting that is repeated the world over on numerous occasions. It also makes me angry due to the recovery commonly being attributed to the "will" and "desire" of the unfortunate individuals refusal to give in to the odds and medical advice - absolute complete tosh - and leaves people thinking what? That the rest of us just didn't try? Didn't have the "will" required?

Detest this kind of reporting but we have to understand that it's nothing more than a "feel good" story of beating the odds, and unless we can alter human nature and reporting the world over it will never change, no matter how much we educate and explain.

No way - agreed that journos need to be more educated on what they're reporting.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

We are going through a similar SCI/media episode with an obviously incomplete injury quad. Only he is "recovering" because of his faith and the prayers of others. Being a non-Baptist non-Christian has kept me shackled for more than 60 years now. The local media do not want anything to do with me and my story. They are not in the reality business I guess.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/