Thread: National Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month 2015

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

National Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month 2015

TRIUMPH FOUNDATION

September is National Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month. Triumph is going to start a viral hashtag (#) campaign to help celebrate, using #morethanmychair. We are hoping you and your members can participate.

Our idea is simple: we want to have people that are living with SCI to post pictures of themselves doing activities outside of their wheelchair. Too often the general population think people that live with paralysis are confined to their wheelchairs and live a life of sedentary. This campaign's mission is to smash those stereotypes by showcasing pictures of wheelchair users doing things outside of their four wheels.

People will then post their picture(s) on various social media sites, mainly Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and put #morethanmychair in the caption. The campaign will take place throughout the month of September, but hopefully the message that we are, in fact, more than our chairs, will resonate beyond.

Picture ideas: people participating in adaptive recreational activities like swimming, surfing, skydiving, handcycling, waterskiing, snow skiing, etc; driving a car or flying an airplane; someone standing or exercising in physical therapy; or a person simply sitting on the couch with family with their wheelchair nearby.

Here are some caption ideas that people can pair with their photos:
    1.I am not confined to my wheelchair. I am #morethanmychair. #SCImonth #spinalcordinjury #TriumphOverSCI
    2.I am #morethanmychair. Are you? #SCImonth #spinalcordinjury #TriumphOverSCI
    3.My wheelchair does not define me. #morethanmychair #SCImonth #spinalcordinjury #TriumphOverSCI
    4.Just because I use a wheelchair, doesn't mean I?m just sitting around. #morethanmychair #SCImonth #spinalcordinjury #TriumphOverSCI
    5.My wheelchair is a tool. It is not my life. #morethanmychair #SCImonth #spinalcordinjury #TriumphOverSCI

This is a great way for people to celebrate this important month and post fun pictures.

Our goal is simple: raise awareness. This is not a fundraising gimmick or any self-serving strategy. We just think it would be cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim; 09-02-2015 at 11:39 AM.