Thread: Essential Oils

Essential Oils

So, recently I have done some reading on essential oils. I don't believe they will cure injuries/conditions. I am wondering though if they will be useful for symptoms and help reduce some issues. I am curious if anyone has tried essential oils and what they may have helped with. I am looking at a number of different issues. Digestive issues, anxiety, depression, pain, emotional support, fatigue, exhaustion etc. By no means am I thinking that they will cure a spinal cord injury or replace medications that I am currently on. I do wonder however, that using them in conjunction with traditional medications and techniques (physical therapy, massage, Chiropractor, hydro therapy, exercise, etc) if they are helpful. I guess even as a placebo effect. I mean if they help you "feel better", even if they actually don't, then isn't it still worth it?

There is a lot of research going on with the use of essential oils. All of them are not harmless, but many are. Studies on sleep in ICU have been done with patients who are able chosing the oil that they would like to smell during the night. The results were encouraging. My concern is with ingesting anything that may not be tested with other medications. There are some horrible combinations that we know about, but more frightening to me is the use of natural elements that have not been tested in combination with medications.

If you are talking about using them as a smell- that is one thing. A whole nother thing if ingesting.

ckf

Thank you for your response. Interested in using them diffused and in homemade lotion or balms. I am not interested in ingestion. I know that is the new big thing, however, I am not taking any chances. I also will not use them undiluted. Was thinking I would start with a 1% lotion and see how it is tolerated. I know there are many that say you can also apply them "neat" meaning directly to skin depending on the oil, but again, I would rather start with caution. I do notice a difference in using Peppermint already. Just with aromatherapy, smelling it several times during the day seems to give me a more awake feeling, more energy. I apply some lotion before going do exercise. I did read some articles that there are several Universities doing studies on essential oils and their effect on cancer/tumors. I think it was sacred frankincense. The studies have been promising but again, everything is in such early stages, I am not one to jump on the bandwagon of the next new best thing. We shall see.

Many of them do provide a better feeling. I would encourage you to do exactly what you are doing. I love peppermint myself, and also lavender at bedtime.
    Ckf