Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick release axle question

quick release axle question

I was able to find myself a set of 507 wheels. But they have a quickie hub and I use a TiLite chair.
    I could rebuild the wheel with the correct hub, but was wondering if I could just get a longer quick release axle.

Anyone have experience with this, trying to figure out which size I would need, or if there are other considerations
    I have not thought of

thx for the help

Yes you can, I've done it for years.I have knobby's on a set of old Quickie wheels and I switch them on to my Zra when I go in to the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner View Post
    Yes you can, I've done it for years.I have knobby's on a set of old Quickie wheels and I switch them on to my Zra when I go in to the yard.
    Any ides what type and size of axle I need, I also have a ZRA, and these are knobby tires, quickie hub on sun rims. The axle I have for my ZRA was not long enough

thx for the help

You *only* need to figure out how much longer of an axle you need and get it. Ask here or order one once you think you have it right. They are slightly adjustable using the nut on the end. You can use sleeves if you are a little too long.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I think they were only an ⅛ inch longer. My granddaughter has the old Quickie and the wheels at the moment. You have to measure your rims from bearing face to bearing face, ( sun has several different hubs so you need to measure yours). and find the difference between the Quickies and the Tilites and that will give you the amount to add.

Okay so I think I am getting a 3/8 in difference. My current Ti Lite axels are 4in from bolt to pin, on a shadow hub, now going to a sun rim with quickie hub, so looks as though I will need new axle to be 4 3/8. Does anyone have a set???

You may have 3/8" left in your adjustment on the outboard end of the axle.
    If you do adjust it, this will leave your other wheels with that amount of play.
    If that's unacceptable, cut 3/8" sections of 1/2" copper pipe and use them to take up the slack; if you aren't abusing the chair, they will work fine on the inner end; if you're concerned about the axle's integrity, you can stick them on the outer end-your button will stick out 3/8" more. I run 1/2" spacers on the insides of my Ti and often do 12" drops with no problems. And the buttons are more manageable with the protrusion which is not a problem due to camber.

small button axels from Sportaid $49 large button $65. I think it's easer to have separate axels sets.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner View Post
    small button axels from Sportaid $49 large button $65. I think it's easer to have separate axels sets.
    I might have an extra set with big buttons. We need to be absolutely sure we are on same page measurement wise. I'll find a pic.

edit: I think I uploaded measurement method. Does it match what you need?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by nonoise; 09-04-2015 at 09:59 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Yes nonoise, thank you, that is how I did my measurements, PM me details