Thread: Insurance pay for power lift?

Insurance pay for power lift?

Has anyone been able to get insurance to pay for a power lift? I just got back from the place I get my medical supplies, and they said it's really difficult to get the insurance to pay for it. And I don't want a hydraulic one.

If you have Medicare, the electrical component of the of the lift is considered a "convenience item". Your medical supplier may to able to apply the cost of the manual lift towards the price of the electrical model and have you pay the difference out of pocket if that's feasible. Many private healthcare's follow the Medicare guidelines.

Last edited by 2drwhofans; 08-28-2015 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21 View Post
    Has anyone been able to get insurance to pay for a power lift? I just got back from the place I get my medical supplies, and they said it's really difficult to get the insurance to pay for it. And I don't want a hydraulic one.
    yes, mine just paid for a molift... ins will say no if you call. but with a good lmn you have a chance. I had to appeal a denial but then approved, and the big hard case for travel.
    Last edited by fuentejps; 08-28-2015 at 08:16 PM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

It depends upon the insurance. The VA covers them for eligible Veterans. Medicare does not. Medicaid varies by state. Private insurance often follows Medicare guidelines, but you can always contact the insurer to find out ahead of time.

If you do end up needing to purchase privately, check out eBay. I see lightly used ones there all the time.

(KLD)

Seems like the easiest way to get this would be through the waiver system. Contact your county case worker and they'll get you going.

We have one but Ry has private insurance as primary and Medicare as secondary and Medicaid third. We used the hydraulic one for years and it was killing me. I have no idea how the cost sharing worked but we paid nothing for it, between the coverage Ry has. He is now able to transfer with no lift but we have not taken in down because when he got his pump installed, we needed it. it goes over his bed, it not attached to the ceiling, portable, and takes up little floor space.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09