Thread: Paralysis: primates recover better than rodents

Thumbs up Paralysis: primates recover better than rodents

Monkeys and humans exhibit greater motor recovery than rats after similar spinal cord injury, according to a study conducted in Gregoire Courtine's lab at EPFL. The identification of this primate-specific mechanism of recovery has major implications for future research. Using primate models rather than rat models will improve the design of therapies to repair the human spinal cord and increase the accuracy of predictive models of recovery. The study results have been published in Science Translational Medicine.

LINK
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 08-28-2015 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling

There is no way to predict how experiments in rats will translate to humans.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    There is no way to predict how experiments in rats will translate to humans.
    Then why torture the rats at all?!?

Not to mention the amount of time saved also

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    Then why torture the rats at all?!?
    It's cheaper to test potential therapies on animals than humans, and they don't have lawyers. However, as noted above, you have to understand when you are testing on the wrong animal. Of course, while rodents might not be a good indicator of how well a therapy will work on human motor functions, it might provide a cheap method of indicating the toxicity of a therapy.

That is, you might test rodents to determine if a therapy kills animals, and then move to higher primates to test for motor function improvement.

Personally, I fear that some researchers think of publishing a paper as the goal of their research, and leave the clinical trials to others. Unfortunately, not many people want to do the high risk, expensive, hard work of clinical trials just for the privilege of paying the researcher royalties.

Also, they can publish a paper and claim it is the solution to the problem as long as they are never proven wrong in clinical trials.

And then comes along PETA ...
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by khmorgan View Post
    It's cheaper to test potential therapies on animals than humans, and they don't have lawyers. However, as noted above, you have to understand when you are testing on the wrong animal. Of course, while rodents might not be a good indicator of how well a therapy will work on human motor functions, it might provide a cheap method of indicating the toxicity of a therapy.

That is, you might test rodents to determine if a therapy kills animals, and then move to higher primates to test for motor function improvement.
    Is that what the primate consortium research data indicated?

I thought all the Rats were walking after SCI, at least that's what I've always seen.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I thought all the Rats were walking after SCI, at least that's what I've always seen.
    The only ones I've seen are dragging their bodies along with their forearms a bit. If they walk around after a SCI then they don't make such a good injury model??