Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Want to lose weight

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Weight lifting does not actually burn a huge amount of calories. You need some good cardiovascular exercise that will get your pulse up and keep it there. Handcycling, swimming, or even use of an arm ergometer for at least an hour daily will help. Of course this needs to be combined with a decrease in calorie intake. Ideally, if you reduce your caloric intake by 500 calories daily, you should loose about 2 lb. per week.

(KLD)
    That was the thinking of the past. Actually weight training burns more calories by far over any light or cardio workouts. You would burn more calories doing five minutes of heavy lifting then you would with any hour long cardio exercise. That's why you see so many of the new workouts focus in going all out throughout the workout session.

Some of these body builders need to take in close to 10,000 calories a day and they have zero fat on them, at least close to it.

The best way to lose weight in your condition is to watch what you eat. Less calories taken in less weight. And add resistance training and you will feel better to.

I must be at a standstill I do 500 calories a day on bike keep calories abou 1000 I can/t way but I measure I have not lost any inches in a month frustrating

take a week off, eat what you want then restart. body needs a change sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    I must be at a standstill I do 500 calories a day on bike keep calories abou 1000 I can/t way but I measure I have not lost any inches in a month frustrating
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    Have you lost WEIGHT during that time? Change in measurements of your body is not a very good way to determine if you are loosing weight or not.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    Ditto, except I don't worry so much about fat content because a little bit of the good stuff(olive oil, cheese, regular milk) goes a long way in keeping you full. And, I do eat an apple every day(can't help myself). I also eat eggs every day. Point is, you are eating good, unprocessed food(including all the veggies you want minus the potatoes and white rice) and this is the only way I can eat however much I want and not have to count calories (which I detest). This is really the Southbeach Diet.
    Well I view diets like going to the gym. It doesn't really matter what you do as long as it is reasonable and you stick to the rules. In the atkin's diet you don't worry about fat, the goal of the diet is to go into ketosis where the body has to burn fat for fuel instead of carbohydrates. Ketosis isn't great on the kidneys so you need to test w/ keto sticks (diabetics use them) and make sure you aren't too far into ketosis and both to reset your body and your mind you need on meal a week where you eat whatever you want (I had a huge calzone this week).

This. The ketogenic diet and myfitnesspal app makes it stupid easy - it figures out your protein/fat/carbs for the day ... searchable database of foods - the best I've ever used.

I never eat pancakes (for obvious reasons) but I saw a recipe made with coconut flour and sugar free syrup ... can't wait to try as I've never heard of such a thing. Suddenly I want to try them. I'm still learning, but was dying for tacos last week. The pre-made Old El Paso mix has mega carbs in it which surprised me ... from now on, I'll have to make my own spice mix. I was able to fit in some tortillas, according to myfitnesspal.

Missing beans though. Bananas. Some eliminate fruit ... I'm not so hip to that. A small apple every once in a while won't do anything ... or a handful of berries.
    Last edited by lynnifer; 11-22-2015 at 08:46 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I don/t know the only scale around is a feed store and they won/t let me roll on I have gone from a 18 to a 14 this year

where can you wt?

I bought a wheelchair scale for $500 for my home. Anyone can weigh on it - can use it for my dog and cats too.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Many hospitals and rehab centers have wheelchair scales and they may allow you to use it. Some people have had success with putting a regular bathroom scale on a hard surface chair and transferring to it in a sitting position. This requires that you have pretty good unsupported short sitting balance without needing to have your feet on the floor.

Some power mobile floor lifts have a built in scale, and it is possible to install one in a ceiling track lift too. Some have just used an industrial type scale and installed it on their lift.

These companies have recently come on the market with scales designed for use in the home environment with a manual (not power) wheelchair or rolling shower chair:

https://lilypadscales.com/

http://www.ricelakehealth.com/produc...le-d300-series
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDE6fjwy_Yk

(KLD)

I use this one. its spot on. we hook to garage lift that I get in/out of my HC with
    http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh...=hanging+scale
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer