Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to lose weight

Veggies such as string beans, spinach, kale, squash, cauliflower, etc. can provide great vitamins and minerals with minimal carbs. A tossed salad instead of potatoes is a great side dish.

(KLD)

I enjoy miso soup. It's easy to make, very good for you, and you don't get fat on it. It can help you stay healthy while you diet.

Yes, salads are great sides. If you're not used to them, start small and put in things you like. I often toss in sunflower seeds, sliced radishes, fresh mushrooms, etc. Found some nice salad dressings that are low carb. Check the labels on them. A new one I like is Ken's Apple Cider Vinagrette.

Purchased a tabletop arm ergometer from Drive Medical several years ago for about $45. It has a small display telling rotations, time, speed; has knob to adjust for cranking - easy to more difficult. I opted for this after trying a $100 unit from another company - was heavy and could not get the 'freewheel' setting when I wanted it.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21 View Post
    What types of foods do you use as side dishes? Right now potatoes are a common item in our house.
    change to sweet potatoes, rather than regular and weigh your protein and carbs then count the calories. myfitness pal is great for your phone
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21 View Post
    What types of foods do you use as side dishes? Right now potatoes are a common item in our house.
    Soy beans, spinach, zucchini... Potatos just once every two weeks. Plain yogurt without sugar, put some raisins instead. No sodas. If you like bubbles try sparkling water, it has no sugar. No cow milk. I drink rice milk. Just some ideas.

Replace the starches with more veg options. Roasted or grilled are yummy. Broccoli, carrots, onions, green beans all work great. Try roasted green beans served with a meat ragu. You will not miss the pasta.

Use what is in season. Go to the farmer's market if there is one near you. You will get seasonal veg and fruit that was grown by the person you are buying it from. The same goes for eggs. There is noting as good as a really fresh egg.

Increase your activity of any kind. The key to loosing weight has never changed. You need to burn more than you take in. That is the bottom line. However, skipping dinner for two days to eat the ice cream is not the healthy way to do it.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

I lost almost 15% of my body weight and went down over 7 inches in my gut. 70% is diet. Eat 5 to 7 times a day. I weigh my food and keep a food log of everything I eat. High protein (1 gram per pound a day is a rule of thumb for some), green veggies (broccoli, spinach, green beans, bok choy, asparagus), low carbs to none (at start). Cardio 6 to 7 times a week (60 minutes 5 times per week) and weight train 4 to 5 times a week (60 minutes). My wife and I like 1 or 2 glasses of wine with dinner and giving that up for most times also helped. Once you get going and start dropping weight or reach your goal add in a cheat meal once a week. Maybe a burger (no fries) or pizza (but not the whole thing). Good to treat yourself but also good to shock your body a bit. Don't skip any meals because it will slow your metabolism. I used to never sweat. Now I have to bring an extra shirt to the gym to change between cardio and weights because it is drenched in sweat. I think its the food that really does it. I have done marathons in the past and did not sweat a drop. Now after 5 to 10 minutes on handcycle (Upper Body Ergometer) I am really starting to perspire. C8-T1 complete.

Weight lifting doesn't burn a ton of calories, but what it does do is speed up your metabolism so that you are burning calories throughout the day even when not working out. If you did cardio all day and focused on the exact number of calories burned, you're going to have a tough time because people overestimate the number of calories any given workout Will burn. Portion control, weight training, and maintaining your heart right in the correct, "fat burning " Zone is going to do the most good. The weight lifting speeding up your metabolism is key. So is eating small snack a between meals, it keeps your metabolism working.