Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to lose weight

Want to lose weight

I am a C5-6 complete. Can anyone recommend some exercises to help lose weight? I have an Upper tone gym and use it every day. Right now I do more weight less reps exercise, but don't seem to be losing any. Ideas?
    Thanks

Weight lifting does not actually burn a huge amount of calories. You need some good cardiovascular exercise that will get your pulse up and keep it there. Handcycling, swimming, or even use of an arm ergometer for at least an hour daily will help. Of course this needs to be combined with a decrease in calorie intake. Ideally, if you reduce your caloric intake by 500 calories daily, you should loose about 2 lb. per week.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21 View Post
    I am a C5-6 complete. Can anyone recommend some exercises to help lose weight? I have an Upper tone gym and use it every day. Right now I do more weight less reps exercise, but don't seem to be losing any. Ideas?
    Thanks
    handcycling, nothing better for us quads.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21 View Post
    Thanks
    High protien, low fat, no carbs. Eat whatever you want 1 meal a week. The hard part is the "no carbs". That means: no bread, pasta, potatoes, juice, sugar, fruit (take vitamins).

If you have access...consider a stim bike. I've never used one. But a hand bike? is going to be considered a medical device. At that price, you could probably get a used stim bike

A lot of people don't realize it but getting enough sleep is really important as is drinking a lot of water and then all the usual other diet stuff and exercise, you will loose weight this way if you follow it.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    High protien, low fat, no carbs. Eat whatever you want 1 meal a week. The hard part is the "no carbs". That means: no bread, pasta, potatoes, juice, sugar, fruit (take vitamins).
    Ditto, except I don't worry so much about fat content because a little bit of the good stuff(olive oil, cheese, regular milk) goes a long way in keeping you full. And, I do eat an apple every day(can't help myself). I also eat eggs every day. Point is, you are eating good, unprocessed food(including all the veggies you want minus the potatoes and white rice) and this is the only way I can eat however much I want and not have to count calories (which I detest). This is really the Southbeach Diet.

I rarely have pasta, bread maybe once a week. I eat veggies with every meal. I eat a lot of fruit though(helps me poop). So don't know if I can cut that back. I have been considering getting an arm ergometer, one I can put on a table. Anyone have one they recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    Ditto, except I don't worry so much about fat content because a little bit of the good stuff(olive oil, cheese, regular milk) goes a long way in keeping you full. And, I do eat an apple every day(can't help myself). I also eat eggs every day. Point is, you are eating good, unprocessed food(including all the veggies you want minus the potatoes and white rice) and this is the only way I can eat however much I want and not have to count calories (which I detest). This is really the Southbeach Diet.
    This is the exact way that I eat and I lost 35 lbs over a year and have kept it off for 18 months. It was difficult at first...I like pasta, potatoes, bread etc. but when a person makes a change in their lifestyle and practices that change over a period of time it becomes a habit (at least it did for me). Also drink more water.

What types of foods do you use as side dishes? Right now potatoes are a common item in our house.