Thread: Muscle contractions in a complete injury

Muscle contractions in a complete injury

Im 8 months post injury t9 level.
    Until now no signs of voluntary movements or sensitivity except the burning and tingling sensation in my legs so I guess I am a complete.
    Spasms were frequent in the first two months then became less and less and now they give me no more trouble sleeping and moving.
    I have to mention that I haven't been in any medical treatment with pills and very little home therapy with a PT, 1 hour a day.

Suddenly , this past 2 months that I have started pool therapy and supported standing to activate the core something new has showed up.
    My legs have become very sensitive to touch and each time I try to stretch my legs they extend with toes pointing down and throw me back off balance.
    My gluts and quadriceps are most of the time contracted and feel pretty normal. Just that I can't voluntary control them.

This makes it very hard for me to dress and transfer but if it has any benefits Im willing to take the suffer for the greater good.
    Anyone has any information or the same situation ?

Spasticity that interferes with function, safety, or hygiene is generally spasticity that requires treatment. The most commonly used medications for spasticity are designed to tone it down to safe levels; your goal should not be for the spasticity to go away completely. This include baclofen, tizanadine, dantrolene sodium, and even diazepam. You should work with a good neurologist or physiatrist who is familiar with spasticity management on this.

Additionally, you can decrease problems with spasticity by doing a daily stretching regimen, standing (in a standing frame or glider) at least an hour daily, sleeping or laying on your stomach for at least a hour daily, and being sure your wheelchair and clothing are proper fitting and not triggering or increasing your spasms. Like autonomic dysreflexia, suddenly increased spasticity can often be a sign that something is wrong, such as a pressure ulcer, constipation, urinary tract infection, etc. etc.

(KLD)

I do have a pressure ulcer in my right foot that is closing. Ill see how it goes after that.

If I take any spasticity medication will it have any side effect in my potential recovery ?

I don't think so. Anyway, I recommend you to read the side effects of such meds before you decide to take them.

Quote Originally Posted by Martiniani77 View Post
    Im 8 months post injury t9 level.
    Until now no signs of voluntary movements or sensitivity except the burning and tingling sensation in my legs so I guess I am a complete.
    Spasms were frequent in the first two months then became less and less and now they give me no more trouble sleeping and moving.
    I have to mention that I haven't been in any medical treatment with pills and very little home therapy with a PT, 1 hour a day.

Suddenly , this past 2 months that I have started pool therapy and supported standing to activate the core something new has showed up.
    My legs have become very sensitive to touch and each time I try to stretch my legs they extend with toes pointing down and throw me back off balance.
    My gluts and quadriceps are most of the time contracted and feel pretty normal. Just that I can't voluntary control them.

This makes it very hard for me to dress and transfer but if it has any benefits Im willing to take the suffer for the greater good.
    Anyone has any information or the same situation ?
    I don?t think it will cause any problems for you. But it would be better to consult a surgeon and get recommendations on the treatments that will be ideal for you. Because most of the cases with bones and muscles a good physio can identify the cause of the pain and get you treated. Whenever I?m facing similar problems with my body, I used to consult my physiotherapist in Mississauga and get advice on the treatments. I?m not sure about the treatment that would be ideal for you, for that you have to consult a good surgeon asap.