Thread: Puberty development in 2 year old female with Transverse Myelitis (quadriplegic)

Puberty development in 2 year old female with Transverse Myelitis (quadriplegic)

Dr. Young or anyone that might have any knowledge about this....
    I run a TM support group over on Facebook.
    One of my members is a mom with a 2 year old female child that has Transverse Myelitis and is quadriplegic.
    Developed TM at 6 months of age and has been in a care facility since onset.
    Mom informed us yesterday that her daughter is showing signs of the onset of puberty by having a period.
    Apparently the doctor informed her that this is somewhat common in adolescents with spinal cord injuries/diseases.
    Any thoughts on this....???
    And if this is fact, can you provide me with a link to some sort of scholarly material to read..???
    I am very curious about this and wish to learn more.
    Thank you,
    Kevin

Precocious puberty can be the result of drug side effects and chemical exposure (especially to hormones sometimes used in commercial feed lots for chickens, beef, and port). I have not seen anything that indicates that SCI (or TM) alone makes one subject to this. It has been reported among those with spina bifida though. The first thing I would look at would be drug and chemical exposure. The girl should also be evaluated by a good pediatric endocrinologist.

(KLD)

Thank you so much for the response......I am going to pass this on to the mom and continue to monitor what the doctors there are telling her and doing for treatment....
    Again, I appreciate the response..!!

As far as i know the precocious puberty in adolescents with spina bidifda is a result of hydrocephalus and its effect on pituitary so it has nothing to do with a spine damage. I think that this kid needs to be evaluated by a really, really good pediatric endocrinologist.