Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transgender etiquette question

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Patrick was right on the button! Someone else explained that trans (especially male to female) can be hypersensitive. I can see that and understand better now. I'm not interested in being friends again with this person but boy do I feel sorry for her domestic partner! What an attitude!

I'll know better next time.

As far as politically/socially correct .. it's a sign of respect. I want to be respectful. Don't you guys and if not, why?

I don't equate being respectful with political/social correctness. I generally strive to be respectful of others although admittedly I do fall off this wagon from time to time.

IMO, there is a fine line between being PC and embodying the very intolerance that "political correctness" ostensibly strives to abolish.

Political correctness is a fluid and dynamic concept, difficult to nail down. Bending an individual mind to fit the mold of the group, at a particular point in time, can have net negative consequences on the health of the group.

I don't consider it a function of respect, rather of intelligence. Not in the sense being PC distinguishes someone as "smart" or "dumb", but it speaks to the type of thinker a person is in broad terms. Specifically, the distinction between "convergent" and "divergent" thinkers.

Converrgent thinkers tend to adopt wider held patterns of thought, obey rules with little question, and play an important role in a society.

Divergent thinkers tend to eschew wider held patterns of thought, think "outside the box", and are generally more creative thinkers.

Political correctness is the epitome of convergent thinking in socio-cultural contexts. It has a place, to be sure, but it has limits and consequences. As I posted above, it tows a line that leads many people to become so intolerant of intolerance that they come to embody the heart of what they despise.

e.g. It has become politically correct to be intolerant fundamental Christians on account of their seeming intolerance. Is this really progress toward a more tolerant society?!?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    Respectful yes. I want to be respectful as possible. It pisses me off when people are not respectful to others. Just turned 30 and say yes ma'am and sir everyday. If I didn't or was rude my mother would slap me and I would be scalded as soon as we were alone. That is a southern thing I guess. Being PC, hell no call a spade a spade. The truth hurts sometimes but most of the time if it pisses you off and you back away, you will see the other person has a point. Being nice and respectful in life will get you a long way. It will go a long way In helping the world get along if everyone was that way. Being PC will not move us along as a world. It just spoon feeds a small percentage and doesn't do a damn to move us along as a people.
    Agreed. Relating this sentiment to my most recent post:

Studying nearly every "great" individual throughout history reveals a veritable "who's who" of divergent thinkers: Socrates, Aristotle, Buddha, Jesus, Copernicus, Galileo, Newton, Einstein, Ghandi, MLK, Jr., etc, etc.

The next great evolution of human thought is not likely going to be a product of the convergent set. Political Correctness is as much a threat to humanity as intolerance itself!! It is little more than "place and time" dependent socially acceptable intolerance, with a thin veil of self-righteousness.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

you all have to much time on ur hands I will not tell u what this old fart thinks what the hey I guy that thinks he is a women is nuttier than a fruitcake same thing for a gal that thinks she a man

So you would be okay if someone called you a cripple? Not me.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Yes I get called crippled all the time by the older generation. You no the ones they refer to as the "greatest" generation the ones that are not PC. I even refer to myself as crippled. Because that is what I am. I was cripple by my accident. I guess my feelings just don't get hurt like some and that is ok.

Patrick was right on the button! Someone else explained that trans (especially male to female) can be hypersensitive. I can see that and understand better now. ?
    Maybe I'm not getting the full depth of the story, but someone was venting about a crap resolution from a public entity using the point of contact as a reference, and they are hypersensitive after not liking being accused of being a misogynist by the person they are venting to because of terminology? And this is more likely because they are transgender? Almost sounds like those wheelchair people who are mad at the world and just waiting for a chance to lash out and point out how others suck in some way.

All in context. I have a guy at work who is almost pushing 80 pretty soon, who uses that term about people he associates with outside the job when talking about random stuff people talk about. From his generation, it is a pretty standard word. I think he might even used that on me in conversation. As a description...no biggie. Used in derogatory form? Problem. I don't think the use of the word should be banished from the language because it has been declared universally offensive by someone, somewhere, at some point.

Blog Entries
    Cripple is as cripple does.

If a word offends you I'd recommend a page from my kindergarten teacher's book of wisdom: "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me."

Words don't have any more power over us than we willingly give them. Why choose to be easily offended? That doesn't sound like a very pleasant existence.

I was 12. Maybe that's the difference. I didn't speak to my brother for 20yrs when he said I was a cripple. We've been chatting again since 2011 but he still uses the word knowing how I feel about it.

He's also a racist narrow minded prick but he has no one else, so I deal.

Once I've made it known, it's rude and disrespectful to continue its use.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

all I can say is wow I am cripple but I do what I can and you don/t change your sex like you change your clothes but I am not going to judge any one not my job

my job its to praise God for what I got and when I look in the mirror and say I am doing thw best I can

You insult members here by saying such things. I'm sure they hold judgements against you for bringing gawd into i though, so tit for tat. lol