Thread: breakdowns

breakdowns

I am a quad driving back from town about 28 miles from home a really loud noise pulled over wher I could get out looked at all tires peaked undervan van nothing which is good bit... mean while 2 trucks stop

tod them what is dsounded like anyway I am home

but what do you quad do when you break down or even para

I hVE TOW SERVICE BUT... its not like I can get in ..

I have Allstate road service and though I have never used them to change a flat it is part of their service. I would think most, Triple A etc, would have the service?

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    I have Allstate road service and though I have never used them to change a flat it is part of their service. I would think most, Triple A etc, would have the service?
    AAA used to have extended service which included 75 mile heavy rig towing. I think I still have it. I hope so, I've used it a couple of times over the decades, but that was when I could walk and they let me ride in their tow truck. So the question as the OP asked is: what now? Call a cab?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

the town I live in o don/t think we have cabs and I have never mastered getting in a car by myself but I will be calling mitch mobday he is a quad c5 c4 and owns the main wrecker serice in town and woukd be the service I would use

and van going to shop we live in a small town 15 miles to thomoston 33 to griffin

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    AAA used to have extended service which included 75 mile heavy rig towing. I think I still have it. I hope so, I've used it a couple of times over the decades, but that was when I could walk and they let me ride in their tow truck. So the question as the OP asked is: what now? Call a cab?
    I see what you are saying nonoise re: transfers, availability, etc. I read the post quickly and didn't pick up on the main question. I can remember having to transfer up into wreckers twice back when I was in my 40's but wouldn't do it now due to hardware in legs, osteoporosis, etc.

I have lived in a rural area (VT) but in an urban area now and not by planning but I have realized I am just minutes away from hospitals, accessible transportation , etc. Rural presents some other challenges...

Vjls-

Please post what you learn. You've got a good point and one that I never thought about how to troubleshoot. Best guess if we got stuck while traveling on country roads would be to call AAA for a flatbed tow truck to take the van and then call the local police to let him try and transfer into the back seat of a police car for a ride out of harm's way. I'm pulling this idea out of thin air though.

Yes, in all the places I have lived I think the police would be glad to help in a situation like that. I know that the sheriff's deputies here have rescued a couple of stranded disabled people. I know the sheriff and he said they enjoy the opportunity to do "good" things whenever they can.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

We used to travel a lot in the western half of the US and into Canada and always carried AAA Plus as they would tow farther. In all these years we only broke down one time where the van was not drive able. We were in Utah and had to pull off on one of the turn offs for putting on chains. Fortunately we had cell service and could cal AAA.
    We were about 40 miles from the nearest town that had a place to get the van serviced. I explained the situation that it was me, my husband who is a quadriplegic in a power chair who can't transfer into the truck, and his service dog. A flat bed truck arrived and I am sure it wasn't legal or possibly not too safe, but he let us remain in the van and hoisted us up on the flatbed. I have no idea what else we could have done as it was a Friday afternoon, almost 5 PM and no larger cities around.

What every high quad has to do for most things in life, expect someone else to do it for you. Brokedown not too long ago, but because my right arm I can't drive so buddy did all the work, sometimes I just feel like a useless worm waste of breath always expecting help

Debbie was a para but used a powerchair due to other issues that came up over time. Once we were a good 40 minutes from home and broke down with our full-sized van. Weren't sure what we would do about getting Debbie home. Tow truck driver was a rockstar who broke all the rules and let Debbie ride home in the van (we were pulled by a regular tow truck - not a flat bed - not a comfy ride home!). If he hadn't done that, not sure what we would have done.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    - Albert Einstein