Thread: explaining to kids

explaining to kids

I have a 5 and 8 year old nephews who live with my mom and I. They have asked on more than one occasion how I pee and poop. I cath through my belly so I don't mind telling them that or explaining it a little but how do I explain a bowel program to those ages? They know I have a solution I put in my belly which is my enema but not sure how else to explain it. They know sometimes I sit upstairs longer somedays and other days I get right in the shower. Any ideas?

Honesty is the best policy in my view. Keep things simple, don't go into too much detail (unless they ask for more detail), but tell them what's what.

My son's friends ask questions, and my son has no hesitation in telling them what he does. Then their curiosity is sorted, and that seems to be the end of it.

And not making it sound too serious is a good idea too!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Applaud the fact that the kids realize that everyone has to go. They are interested in how you manage this process. I agree, be honest. Tell them that you take a medication that makes you go but that it takes a bit longer than it does for them to go. That should be enough. They are curious, be truthful.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09