Thread: Is the Tampa bay area wheelchair-hostile?

Angry Is the Tampa bay area wheelchair-hostile?

being searching for a wheel-chair accessible apartment in the Clearwater or Palm harbor area for more than a month now with no avail.... all the bathrooms are so small for transporting to the toilet seat or the bathtub?

any thoughts guys????

Would senior housing work for you? If the place is built with federal funds I believe they would accept application if you are UNDER age.

drnadr is a resident of Egypt as I remember, so would not be eligible for Section 8 or other federally funded housing.

There is an active wheelchair community in the Tampa area, with a large VA SCI Center housed there. You might get some tips on finding a place that is accessible from the PVA chapter there, or the local independent living center. "Wheelchair accessible" is a vague term too. If you are looking for an apartment, you are unlikely to find one that has a roll-in shower, for example, but finding one with no steps to the entrance (or elevator access), wide enough doorways (esp. into the bathroom) and a bathroom that you can get into (although not probably with an ADA turning area) is the main thing you need to make it work. This is going to be true of Tampa just as with most other USA cities. Look for more recent construction (within the last 10 years) as well.

You really need to see the unit yourself before committing to a lease. I would recommend staying in a hotel or motel in Tampa for your search rather than trying to book something remotely.

(KLD)

I recently was searching for an apartment in Tampa. I used apartments.com and filtered for wheelchair accessibility. At the time there were a fairly large number of available apartments. None gave a full description of the apartments only that they were wheelchair accessible. Here's the link to that area. http://www.apartments.com/1-beds-1-b...p7zjhHx__-tv7B

Very disappointing..... I thought the US had very much easier accommodations than the rest of the world. The bathrooms are very small for a wheelchair to maneuver properly....
    All the word "disability access" means the ability to access the structure. You need a revolution here. this should not be the American standards.

Any other though guys even for condos or apartments with larger than usual bathrooms.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drnader View Post
    Very disappointing..... I thought the US had very much easier accommodations than the rest of the world. The bathrooms are very small for a wheelchair to maneuver properly....
    All the word "disability access" means the ability to access the structure. You need a revolution here. this should not be the American standards.

Any other though guys even for condos or apartments with larger than usual bathrooms.
    More money generally means bigger bathroom.

Are you looking for one with a roll in shower? If not, then a condo would be a better choice

What nrf said too.

http://www.rentalhouses.com/search/T....501700&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by drnader View Post

You might find luck looking for newer structures as the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) was passed in 1990. That said, you're right, apartments and condos need wider bathroom doors for sure.
    It is my understanding, with ADA, older structures only need to make barrier free access if they remodel the building.
    Try using the term 'barrier free' when checking with real estate web sites/agents. Have you tried working directly with a few real estate agents?
    Please let us know if you find something.