Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcoholic neuropathy question -

Banned

Alcoholic neuropathy question -

Hello I am new here and am hoping for some feedback on some symptoms I am having. I have been 13 years a heavy drinker and smoker of cigarettes and quit both 25 days ago. I got the proper meds from my doctor for the alcohol withdrawal so no issue there. About 16 days into my detox I was having general tingling in my left foot and hand. That wasn't much of an issue because I read about potential withdrawal symptoms and that was included. Here is where it got weird for me and has continued up to day 25 today. I started getting these rushes of numbness in my left foot, hand and lips all at once that would last for maybe 10 to 15 seconds. When it first happened it scared the you know what out of me because I thought I was having a stroke. So off the the ER I went and they did blood work, chest xray, EKG, CT of head and neck, echocardiogram of my heart and neck and a MRI with contrast of my head and neck. All came back negative and they ruled out stroke or TIA's. Ok great I'm not dying... Well here I am six days later and some days I don't have this rush of numbness at all other days I am having it 1 to 5 times or more. Nothing particular brings it on. I can be walking, stand up to quick, playing with my dog or nothing at all. It's a very odd sensation when it happens and it also brings on a bit of anxiety because well... its just weird! Has anyone on here experienced anything like this? If so please share with me your experience so I don't feel like I am going crazy. (Also, I actually went back to the ER today because it was happening pretty frequently and they checked everything out again and told me they believe I am suffering from Alcoholic Neuropathy. Again any feed back or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. God bless.

Chris

Do you have a spinal cord injury?
    CWO

I don't know if you have a spinal cord injury, but you sound like an alcoholic!
    Before I gave up, and before I was paralyzed, I had your symptoms.
    I got sober in 1983 and all these symptoms have disappeared.
    If you are an alcoholic, not putting that stuff in your body is the most loving thing you can do for yourself. Congratulations on taking care of yourself.
    I suggest you get supported in that. Find an AA group that you feel good in and get involved. Left to my own designs, I'd ultimately get drunk again!

Absolutely go to AA
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Banned
    Thanks gang I am in a AA program and it is helping tremendously. I'm 26 days sober today. Doing well there. I don't have a spinal cord injury that I know of. I was really just hoping to hear back from some people that may have gone through these symptoms I am having and wondering how to make them calm down or go away. I'm guessing its just time and good health. I'm exercising four times a week, biking, taking thiamine, folate, niacin, B6, B12 and Vitamin E to help with nerve damage. Drinking a gallon of water a day and getting good rest. I just can't stop having anxiety over these rushes of numbness and tingling that keep coursing through my left foot arm and lips. Today it has happened at least 15 times. It's nuts.

Have you been on amioderone, a heart medicine?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Banned
    No amioderone or heart meds

Quote Originally Posted by MrCC View Post
    Thanks gang I am in a AA program and it is helping tremendously. I'm 26 days sober today. Doing well there. I don't have a spinal cord injury that I know of. I was really just hoping to hear back from some people that may have gone through these symptoms I am having and wondering how to make them calm down or go away. I'm guessing its just time and good health. I'm exercising four times a week, biking, taking thiamine, folate, niacin, B6, B12 and Vitamin E to help with nerve damage. Drinking a gallon of water a day and getting good rest. I just can't stop having anxiety over these rushes of numbness and tingling that keep coursing through my left foot arm and lips. Today it has happened at least 15 times. It's nuts.
    Relax! Sit down, get comfortable, and put on your seat belt. You have no idea of what an incredible trip you're now on!
    "this too will pass" You're on track to full recovery, but its it'll take time. We all wanted instant gratification, but patience has it's rewards.
    And one is having an extraordinary life! Anything is possible one day at a time. Keep doing the next right thing and soon you will be amazed at your progress.
    And keep in touch-even if you have a different "wound"

You might talk to a doctor familiar with both recovery and nerve pain. You do not want a narcotic during recovery. But there are other medications that help with neuropathic pain. Good luck in your sobriety!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

How is the Neuropathy going, I am having similar symptoms and am quite nervous about it all. I'm planning to do a full post of my symptoms but I am interested if your symptoms got any better over time. I am also going to AA and detoxing, interesting I wonder if that sometimes may trigger the symptoms. Good luck to you.