Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 problem

[QUOTE=SCIfor55yrs.;1776292]
    Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    I have tried updates before like this....never works out....Just buy a new puter with 10 on it.[/QUOTE

That's what I am dealing with: A new Dell computer with factory installed Windows 10.
    Sorry 55 didn't read it all the way though. Did you buy it with windows 8.1 then install the 10?. Call dell and see if they can find the fix for it.
    Why I always wait about 6 months after a new os before I buy one.
    Art

You should be able to make a copy of it since they don't give you cd's anymore you have to make them yourself.
    Since 10 is so new dell probably don't know the answers yet either......lol
    GL 55 and let us know what happens.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    ala, what my objective is is to make a bootable recovery disk like Microsoft advises. Hard drive failures have occurred with all seven of my computers over the past 30 years or so except the first one. It got fried from a lightning strike.

Your suggestion about getting a USB hard drive is a good idea. But dammit, I just want to do what Microsoft and Windows instructions say users are supposed to do using the provided tool.
    You should be able to make one easy if you have a cd buner with your puter....I did with my windows 8.1 and it took 3 disk just name them 1 2 3 and so on. I think my windows 8.1 took 3 disk. You may ask dell to make them for you....as I did and they sent them to me free.
    Art

If it came with windows 10 on it....I bet dell just upgraded it to 10 with 8.1 on it since they have so many 8.1 left over.
    That my be your real problem. I would be mad to if I had to buy usb stick just for that and can't use it anymore because you got windows 10 on it. CD,S disk are cheap compared to a big stick......lol
    Art

I am running virtually the same system as you are (Dell with Win10), except my hard drive has one extra partition to allow for to dual booting with Linux.

The recovery drive can be USB. Mine recommended at least 16 gb of space, but only used 8.2. I used a Sandisc Cruzer Glide 16 gb for this task. This took about 45 minutes to create using a USB 2.0 to create it with no problems.

If you want to create a System Image, the information in your post sounds about right. My Image was estimated to be about 120 gb. It turned out to be 102. I used Dvds for the Disk Image because it was the cheapest option. It took 12 discs (8.5 gb capacity each disc) to complete and it was literally a day long project. The costs of the discs in total was about $16.

I also created a System Repair Disc on DVD. It only took about an half hour to create and used 402 MB of space.

I hope this helps.

I just tested the recovery USB drive and the repair disc. They both have identical options to choose from and are bootable drives. The only difference that I can see is that the USB recovery drive stores more information than the repair disk. So, that would probably be the best one to start with if you ever have problems. I don't see any need for the repair disc, if you have the USB recovery drive, but if you can not get the usb to work for whatever reason the repair disc would work but it has less information stored on it.
    Last edited by Sugarcube; 08-22-2015 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Added some information

Here is where I am after a couple of days of frustration.

I have been able to create a repair DVD that hopefully will work if needed. No recover disk can be made.

Dell only covers hardware with their basic 1 year warranty. It will cost $ for other assistance. The only documentation that was provided with the computer is a copy of the warranty and a "Quick Start" guide. The guide is a diagram of the computer with all the slots, switches, etc. labeled. Nothing else, not even a mention of Windows. They have a downloadable manual that shows how to install additional memory, change graphics cards, etc. I do not want to pay for support services because they will likely tell me this is a Windows/Microsoft problem. Based on the Microsoft forums they have not yet acknowledged that there is a problem despite several Windows 10 users struggling with the problem.

It appears that Windows 10 will only be available by downloading it.

IMO the bottom has fallen out of Dell. It is not the quality company that iit once was. So sad.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

IMO the bottom has fallen out of Dell. It is not the quality company that iit once was. So sad.
    Yeah, my son used to work for them at their Nashville facility as a tech guy. We used to live in Murfreesboro. When Dell built the plant, they made all kinds of grand promises. Their high paying jobs turned out to be $25k per year. Their promise of hiring loads of Tennesseans turned out to be bull; they closed most of the plant down within months. They did get the government there to give them land, road improvements, and 40 years of tax incentives. My son finally quit. They weren't much fun or profitable to work for by then. People used to swear their products were better than most. I never did.

It's frustrating about your USB flash drive debacle. My recovery disk usbs worked perfectly of our two new Toshiba laptops. I hear you on expecting things to work as stated. That's the least a product should do.

Here is where I am after a couple of days of frustration.

I have been able to create a repair DVD that hopefully will work if needed. No recover disk can be made.

Dell only covers hardware with their basic 1 year warranty. It will cost $ for other assistance. The only documentation that was provided with the computer is a copy of the warranty and a "Quick Start" guide. The guide is a diagram of the computer with all the slots, switches, etc. labeled. Nothing else, not even a mention of Windows. They have a downloadable manual that shows how to install additional memory, change graphics cards, etc. I do not want to pay for support services because they will likely tell me this is a Windows/Microsoft problem. Based on the Microsoft forums they have not yet acknowledged that there is a problem despite several Windows 10 users struggling with the problem.

It appears that Windows 10 will only be available by downloading it.

So no more 1 year free tech support from dell 55?
    Art

Just wondering, do you have a program called "Dell Back up and Recovery" that came pre-installed with your pc? If so, you may need to do a backup through that program. I disabled that program from my system. Maybe that is why my windows 10 back up is working and yours' is not.
    Last edited by Sugarcube; 08-22-2015 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    So no more 1 year free tech support from dell 55?
    Hardware and installation only.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/