Thread: New mattress time

New mattress time

I know I have been away for abit. Been sick a lot. Now it's time for a new mattress for my bed and I was wondering what is out there and what to look at. Thanks for all the input ahead of time

I just moved from a coil spring mattress to a Sleep Number air mattress. I was getting a lot of pain in my shoulder blades even though I had slept on the coil spring for years. Guess the body changes, who knows? Anyway, I alternate between my back and side when sleeping. I have found that the air mattress has helped my pain and also is more comfortable when on my side. It has a remote that you can use to adjust firmness on the fly. Downside is you spend a lot of money for what is basically a fancy Coleman air mattress and a plastic frame....

What kind of mattress are you looking for? Ry uses a mattress from "The Original Mattress Factory" as they have more supportive edges to assist with transferring. If you are using a lift, this is not a big deal. They have several models and locations in many places. They may be worth a visit.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

My doctor suggests a low air loss or a gel mattress. I have a semi adjustable bed I have to sleep with my head up due to gerd http://www.drivemedical.com/index.ph...c-bed-793.html this is the bed I have. Would I need a new one?

I used to have this bed. But it was high. And I struggled getting in and out of it. http://www.drivemedical.com/index.ph...crank-792.html

sleepnumber, hands down worth every penny and great pressure relief.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    sleepnumber, hands down worth every penny and great pressure relief.
    Ditto. I had mine before my accident and it has continued to be great for my SCI. Sleep in same position for 8 hrs. each night and never have to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    My doctor suggests a low air loss or a gel mattress. I have a semi adjustable bed I have to sleep with my head up due to gerd http://www.drivemedical.com/index.ph...c-bed-793.html this is the bed I have. Would I need a new one?
    My able bodied sister has a Sleep Number bed with their adjustable frame and swears by it. If you try the Sleep Number, I believe you can just buy their mattress and use your frame. What I don't know if whether they would give you the 90 day money back guarantee. If you are thinking about the SN bed, you'd probably want to call them and describe your situation to see if they would work with you.