Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic brake for handcycle

Hydraulic brake for handcycle

I changing the pads on my Avid BB7 mtn brake caliper tomorrow so thought I would check out a better disc brake than the BB7. The guy I spoke with suggested a hydraulic setup.

He felt the hyd. housing would hold as well as the wire cable housing we use. Any one out there have one on? If not, what cable disc brake are you using? Spyder just came out with a skucum mtn wire cable brake. It costs about the same as a hydraulic setup.

Why do you want to change? Typically a hydro brake has a more "solid" feel at the lever which could be good or bad depending upon your grip strength. There are lots of hydro options, Shimano, Avid or Hope for example covering a wide range of prices and features but you might want to read reviews on mountain bike websites to get a better idea.

hydraulic is tricky on HC. I run a hybrid cable acyuated hydraulic, works great, 10x better than the avid. super smooth feel.
    http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.ph...d=206&subcat=0
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I'm just looking at options. I've put the miles in on the bike and like to upgrade as a reward. Since I need a pad change I thought I'd see if there is any thing out there with a more efficient stopping power.

My bike guy said there is a new TRP brake http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.ph...d=184&subcat=0 that looks interesting. I think the hydraulic may be overkill with potential headaches of breakage and fiddling to gt them right. Will find out more when I stop by the shop today.

I swapped hydraulic disc brakes on my previous road hand cycle for cable ones. One of the virtues of hydraulic brakes is supposed to be that they require less maintenance/adjustment but my experience of them is that they have to have the fluid topped up at such frequent intervals that you spend much more time on brake maintenance and far fewer rides are carried out when the brakes are working to their potential. This is particularly the case in winter. I have found the adjustment on a cable brake takes seconds, they need adjustment far less frequently, twisting a cable adjuster is far cheaper than buying brake fluid and the stopping power is more than satisfactory so why would I want the increased hassle of hydraulics for no increase in performance that I have experienced.

I have Avid Code on my Lasher, it works great.

the one I mentioned is best of both worlds. its no touch. I had over 1000 miles on the one on my last quad elite and 800 on this one. the guy I sold my other QE too is still using it

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I'm just looking at options. I've put the miles in on the bike and like to upgrade as a reward. Since I need a pad change I thought I'd see if there is any thing out there with a more efficient stopping power.

My bike guy said there is a new TRP brake http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.ph...d=184&subcat=0 that looks interesting. I think the hydraulic may be overkill with potential headaches of breakage and fiddling to gt them right. Will find out more when I stop by the shop today.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

If you have to top up the fluid on a hydro brake it is leaking and should be repaired. In 10 years of competitive mountain biking I never had to do more than bleed every couple seasons ad replace pads. Set it up properly once and you should never have to touch it on a handcycle...it is never going to get the abuse it gets on a real bike. All the horror stories about hydro brakes are from people who haven't used a properly set up one or only a very old style. There is no benefit to a cable or hybrid system unless you have to use a road shifter with cable only brake lever.
    T4 Complete since 01/01/2012

I build bikes for a living - the SLX shimano hydros are AMAZING for the $$$$

I've worked in mountain bike industry for over 20 years and would say a corretly assembled hydraulic brake is equal or better reliability than cable. If it needs topping up it has not been put together correctly. I don't think you need to go to SLX even the entry level Shimano is adequate.