Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MPD Hand Control Adjustments?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    If it's hanging up on the return, something is borked up with the install with the levers or rod hitting something. Pics will definitely help here, but take it back to them for maybe the 2nd time around being the charm. Make sure they don't introduce excessive angularity to the gas lever when adjusting the setup, that can also make things hard to initiate. But it does become an art form of sorts adapting hand controls for fine-tuned operation, and I have yet to see a commercial installation that didn't make me gag. YMMV.

Also, you might want to check this out and maybe have someone mechanically inclined do same...really, really, makes the gas nice:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1683211
    Andy's comments are right on. It amazes me how many "technicians" are not mechanics! There is a lot of sophistry within these seemingly simple implements (the linkages and arms of hand controls) that many installers are clueless about, like the angularity he mentions. If the throttle rod meets a bell crank that is near over-center, the initial effort will be multiplied; if it meets it ~90* the effort will be the least. I got present to this this a long time ago working on British throttle cables and SU setups. If the intersection of the cable and the arm was very acute, you ended up with a touchy throttle that was easy to floorboard; 90* and very controllable off idle and you had to really push to floorboard it.
    I had a friend bring his S6 to me (www.philscars.com) to look at his brakes. His brakes were fine but the asshats at the major NJ mobility center had installed it so you couldn't lock the brakes if you tried; the control would hit the dash!
    Whenever I set up controls, my starting point is to set the motion ratio so that the control can floorboard the brake pedal if ever necessary (as in partial brake failure) as well as activate the ABS on dry roads, and if that results in too sensitive "pedal", move the brake pushrod out further on the control to tailor it to your liking.
    Likewise, WOT (wide open throttle) needs to be achievable without the control dissecting you thigh. Without screwing with the vehicle's throttle springs, this is often problematic, and results in a heavy throttle pressure. Cruise control is your friend. Or you might try this:
    Hand control for newer vehicles with electronic throttles
    Last edited by pfcs49; 08-17-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Hey Russ, been awhile, you sure move around a lot! If you can't get it squared away post some pics, as noted a lot of the "Techs" that install these are clueless.

pfcs49 - Thanks for the reply. That's a cool setup you've made, but something like that wouldn't work for me as a quad.

The throttle pressure once moving isn't too bad (and I can't turn on cruise control myself anyway using a tri-pin steering knob), but getting it to move initially is hugely problematic. I'm taking it in Friday for adjustments, hoping it's an easy fix. I've been driving 20 years, and I've never felt this uncomfortable trying to drive at slow speeds or start out without accelerating too fast. California is more hilly than I'm used to, to say nothing of the stop-and-go traffic, so that makes this even worse.

Rustyjames - Hey, dude! Yeah, I was in South Florida for about 5 years, then Denver for 5 years, now in Los Angeles for about 6 months so far. Who knows where I'll end up next. I hate the cold, but I do like Chicago and New York City...

I'll try to post some pix tomorrow or Wednesday, just to see if any of you guys can see something I might be missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    pfcs49 - Thanks for the reply. That's a cool setup you've made, but something like that wouldn't work for me as a quad.

The throttle pressure once moving isn't too bad (and I can't turn on cruise control myself anyway using a tri-pin steering knob), but getting it to move initially is hugely problematic. I'm taking it in Friday for adjustments, hoping it's an easy fix. I've been driving 20 years, and I've never felt this uncomfortable trying to drive at slow speeds or start out without accelerating too fast. California is more hilly than I'm used to, to say nothing of the stop-and-go traffic, so that makes this even worse.

Rustyjames - Hey, dude! Yeah, I was in South Florida for about 5 years, then Denver for 5 years, now in Los Angeles for about 6 months so far. Who knows where I'll end up next. I hate the cold, but I do like Chicago and New York City...

I'll try to post some pix tomorrow or Wednesday, just to see if any of you guys can see something I might be missing.
    i'd like to see your install as well since im going back to mpd in my full size. you and I function the same
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

When you bring it in, have the tech disconnect the linkage at the accelerator pedal and then move the control like you would if you were accelerating/driving. This could help determine if the 'binding' is in the pedal or the hand control.

Just a suggestion.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post

take before and after pics.

fwiw: cruise could be put on your hand controls and or set up on a elbow switches.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

how'd it go scorp?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Hey, guys. Due to work, I've had to reschedule a few times and haven't gotten the hand controls fixed. I'm going in tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have good news tomorrow afternoon.

Here are three shots with the controls in the resting position, then where the resistance starts just as I push down to accelerate, then the point where it's past the resistance. I'm not sure any of these help anyone, but at least I'll have some "before" pix.

The next photos are just different angles, trying to get a variety of shots the best I could...

It looks to me like the throttle control rod is on too much of an angle. It should have been mounted with the rod end on the opposite side of the pedal.

agreed.
    Rus, if possible snap a pic of your hand control in relation to steering wheel please. im wanting to see that angle. thx again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    It looks to me like the throttle control rod is on too much of an angle. It should have been mounted with the rod end on the opposite side of the pedal.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com