Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MPD Hand Control Adjustments?

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    It looks to me like the throttle control rod is on too much of an angle. It should have been mounted with the rod end on the opposite side of the pedal.
    +1. The heim joint should have been put on the other side of that bracket. The force applied to the pedal is at a significant angle, and I know the Chrysler pedal gets really sticky if it is receiving a force that is not 90 degree-ish to its hinge. Combine that with the double springs inside it, I can see how that really sucks.

Also, looking at what is your 'resting' position for your gas lever on the controls, that usually should be around 2/3rds throttle. Bad leverage with it starting like that, combined with the retarded way they put that gas pedal bracket, oh boy.

So right now, lengthen the gas rod, readjust the starting position of the gas arm on the controls, and flip the heim joint to the other side of the bracket is what jumps out at me. Then tell them to go fuck themselves making you buy a parking brake lever, and badmouth that shop as you see fit, lol. That is a pretty bad install

ETA: what's with the buttsplices? Maybe I'm old school and I like soldering anything I tap into a wiring harness, but that kind of wiring is reserved for the stereo on some 20 year old Cadillac rolling in the projects IMO
    Last edited by Andy; 08-31-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    +1. The heim joint should have been put on the other side of that bracket. The force applied to the pedal is at a significant angle, and I know the Chrysler pedal gets really sticky if it is receiving a force that is not 90 degree-ish to its hinge. Combine that with the double springs inside it, I can see how that really sucks.

Also, looking at what is your 'resting' position for your gas lever on the controls, that usually should be around 2/3rds throttle. Bad leverage with it starting like that, combined with the retarded way they put that gas pedal bracket, oh boy.

So right now, lengthen the gas rod, readjust the starting position of the gas arm on the controls, and flip the heim joint to the other side of the bracket is what jumps out at me. Then tell them to go fuck themselves making you buy a parking brake lever, and badmouth that shop as you see fit, lol. That is a pretty bad install

ETA: what's with the buttsplices? Maybe I'm old school and I like soldering anything I tap into a wiring harness, but that kind of wiring is reserved for the stereo on some 20 year old Cadillac rolling in the projects IMO
    that parking brake lever is just nutz, but it likely is connected to his interlock, meaning if the park brake is not applied, no ramp function. I had them put a bypass switch on mine.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks, guys! This helps -- I'll write more later, as I'm headed out the door to the shop.

John, I'll take a shot of the hand controls and steering wheel before I head out, and I'll try to post it here once I'm at the shop.

I already sent this pic to John, but for reference...

I also had them move the tri-pin to 5 o'clock instead of 4 o'clock where it is in this pic. I think most of you guys don't use any kind of spinner.

I got the binding up issue fixed today, and it's much better, but yeah, you guys weren't exaggerating, the resistance on these new accelerators is a pain. The technician said there was nothing he could do; he certainly wan't going to mess with the Chrysler (Dodge) accelerator assembly, and he said he couldn't move the mounting position of the hand controls at the accelerator because MPD says it needs to be on the right side, in case anyone drives it with the foot pedals. I get that, but even if someone were to drive it it looks like it's be out of the way of their foot. I had it on the left on my previous van, a 1997 Grand Caravan, and it did get in the way when someone able-bodied drove it, but they could do it, and this mounts higher. He said "some shops might do it, but we can't". Nice guy, but frustrating.

Andy - Yeah, I think they parking brake needs to be on for the ramp to work. I never used to use the parking brake because I never had a way to press it, so I didn't worry about it.

I'm going to see if I can get used to this as-is.

Here's a photo of where it was binding up.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 08-31-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Do you know if they are using a MPD sourced custom mount for that Caravan? Or is it one of the MPD generic any vehicle mounts? Looking at this a bit more, I see why they have the bizarre starting angle on the gas lever for the controls, it is hitting the plastic trim panel, even with it waaayyy forward like it is (giving a shit leverage/angle with it like that). I am wondering if that is what MPD designed with the control assembly too far towards the driver with one of their custom mounts, or if it is the result of the shop's engineering efforts to mount the control assembly with a generic mount. In the past MPD did offer model specific mounts, not sure what they do now. But I cant help but think that a manufacturer of these things would not do something so badly.

I think that mounting the main assembly closer to the firewall will allow proper gas control arm angularity to the gas pedal as the arm could be brought back without hitting the plastic trim panel, or cutting more of the plastic trim panel away so the proper angle for the gas arm can be had (not the ideal way in the least of course).

I think that installer is just giving you a snow job regarding 'what MPD says' regarding the gas pedal bracket. Ask to see the instruction sheet for the parts he is using that describes not moving the heim joint to the other side of the gas pedal. It is quite a ways up the pedal, where normally someone's foot wouldn't be. That just sounds really hoaky, like he doesn't want to bother with it.

All in all, wrong gas lever angles at the control itself, along with a side load on the gas pedal make for excess force needed to operate it. I'd bet a lot of the binding up is as a result of these adding up to make for a nasty operating set of controls. When you floor the gas pedal, is the return solid? I also have to wonder if the gas arm on the controls is sweeping past any reasonable angle that the gas pedal could return the controls from a full throttle postion if the control's return spring wasn't doing its job at some point the future, however unlikely that might be.

I'd love to meet this installer and see the vehicle in person to get a hands on perspective, but from what I'm seeing so far in this thread make me kind of infuriated that this is what passes as a 'professional' installation. Could be wrong, but I'm usually right, lol

All of these linkage problems go away when you move the tiny accelerator pedal sensor up onto the hand control!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    That just sounds really hoaky, like he doesn't want to bother with it.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure about the mount, but I'm going to take my van to a different shop to have the controls adjusted. I don't have any confidence in this shop. It's too bad because I would have liked to have kept my maintenance business with the place I bought the van, but not with this shop.

I'm debating whether to take it to the MobilityWorks in Van Nuys (I've been dealing with MobilityWorks in Pasadena) or another shop entirely in Long Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    All of these linkage problems go away when you move the tiny accelerator pedal sensor up onto the hand control!
    I can't use a setup like that, because I'm a quad. I wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure about the mount, but I'm going to take my van to a different shop to have the controls adjusted. I don't have any confidence in this shop. It's too bad because I would have liked to have kept my maintenance business with the place I bought the van, but not with this shop.

I'm debating whether to take it to the MobilityWorks in Van Nuys (I've been dealing with MobilityWorks in Pasadena) or another shop entirely in Long Beach.
    i'd send a pic of that install to mpd, see what they say.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i'd send a pic of that install to mpd, see what they say.
    Thanks. I've been looking for info on MPD all over the internet but can't find anything really, nothing beyond what I already know about the controls anyway. Hell, it was easier when my brother installed a set for me that I bought off eBay.