Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MPD Hand Control Adjustments?

MPD Hand Control Adjustments?

I'm having an issue with my new van and the MPD hand controls. I thought at first that it was because the van just had more get-up-and-go than my previous vans, but now I'm thinking the main problem is resistance as I start to press down for the accelerator, like it's caught on something then once it gets past a couple centimeters, I end up pushing too hard because of the force needed to get past that initial resistance. It does have more power than my old vans, but I'm thinking (hoping) my main problem is the hand cintrols needing to be adjusted a bit.

I've always used this type of control, MPD, driving since 1996, and I was always able to get a smooth acceleration without a lot of downward force. It's especially frustrating and disconcerting when trying to leave from a light without jerking forward, and worse when leaving my apartment building's garage which has a very steep ramp. Do any of you guys know if it's something that can be adjusted? I'm driving a Dodge Grand Caravan by the way. I'm going to have a friend try it both with the hand controls and the foot pedal to compare/contrast. The MobilityWorks in Pasadena, where I bought it and had everything installed, has more experience with Monarch controls, so I'm concerned that the young techs didn't adjust them correctly. I actually had to point out and explain how they could adjust the resting position of the knob by adjusting the main shaft in toward the dash, thus moving the fulcrum point in, giving me more leverage when braking. The guy was convinced he was going to have to completely relocate the brake shaft and cut a new hole in the dashboard. :sigh:

Anyway, I've been Googling, but there's not a lot of info at all out there.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 08-16-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Sounds like they made simply need lubricated. There is a small pin/pivot that could be causing this. Get a can of spray silicone or WD40 and spray that.

Quote Originally Posted by parashooter View Post
    Sounds like they made simply need lubricated. There is a small pin/pivot that could be causing this. Get a can of spray silicone or WD40 and spray that.
    I was thinking the same thing. Use silicone or white lithium grease not WD40. Also they might be installed wrong and are binding just enough to cause you the stiction/release problem.

Hmmm, maybe. But even though they're brand new?

It also sticks a bit when I let off the gas and it doesn't spring all the way back up into the default position easily (sticking a bit at the end of the motion), so maybe that's it. I think the issue being simple lubrication needed would make me feel better than something haven't been tightened too much here or not tightened enough there.

Thanks, guys. I'll look to see if I can get to it to lube it up. And yeah, I was thinking white lithium grease instead of WD40.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Hmmm, maybe. But even though they're brand new?

It also sticks a bit when I let off the gas and it doesn't spring all the way back up into the default position easily (sticking a bit at the end of the motion), so maybe that's it. I think the issue being simple lubrication needed would make me feel better than something haven't been tightened too much here or not tightened enough there.

Thanks, guys. I'll look to see if I can get to it to lube it up. And yeah, I was thinking white lithium grease instead of WD40.
    sounds like throttle return spring for the arm. its on the mounting body under the dash, it brings throttle arm back to neutral. have an ab pop it loose, easy if they can get to it, see if that smooths it out. may just need new lighter spring.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Bring them back for a adjustment and post a pic of how there installed.

Someone at there shop should be able to get them squared away for you.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

I have had MPD not a problem but I did have a prob with twist grip hand controls made by a different company. Same symptoms, a lag and a hangup but the problem was around a vacuum feed not properly hooked to the intake. As far as the MPD I would try and make sure the prob is not with the van then if its in the handcontrols I would ask someone to see if they could check is the return spring working or did one become unhooked and maybe lube the pivot points of the handcontrols.

They got something binding somewere. Everybody in such a big dam hurry on something crucial as this. They should have test driven it before giving it to you in case there was a problem. They give this job to the newbess to get them started and nobody checks there work. On my S10 they hand something binding....I fixed it myself...took me 8 hours to get it right they messed it up so bad.
    Art

If it's hanging up on the return, something is borked up with the install with the levers or rod hitting something. Pics will definitely help here, but take it back to them for maybe the 2nd time around being the charm. Make sure they don't introduce excessive angularity to the gas lever when adjusting the setup, that can also make things hard to initiate. But it does become an art form of sorts adapting hand controls for fine-tuned operation, and I have yet to see a commercial installation that didn't make me gag. YMMV.

Also, you might want to check this out and maybe have someone mechanically inclined do same...really, really, makes the gas nice:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1683211

Thanks, guys.

I haven't messed with it today, but after thinking about it and the other responses here, I'm pretty sure it's not a lubrication issue. It's binding up somewhere, or something's up with the return spring. I've driven a van years ago after that spring broke off, so that might be a temporary fix until I can get it back into the shop. They might balk at that though, and admonish about "authorized persons only" making any adjustments. Hah.

I'll report back later.