Thread: Vibration therapy for pain?

Vibration therapy for pain?

Recently read a study of persons with Polio. They were reporting symptoms of PPS (Post-Polio Syndrome) such as pain, fatigue, walking endurance for those who walked. It was a small group with 15 out of about 20 completing the full study. Each person was assisted in stepping on a vibration machine - each tried two different machines.
    What caught my eye was that one conclusion was improvement in level of pain. HOWEVER, no significant pain reduction was evident after a follow-up two weeks after the study was completed.
    Thus I'm wondering if this type of therapy would be useful also for SCI persons - that is, on an on-going basis. Polio does not damage sensation. I don't know if a person with SCI would experience any change in pain level after using vibration therapy.
    If I'm reading the study correctly, those who used the more intense Power Plate vibration device, reported via the "Brief Pain Inventory" that "pain severity significantly improved". "No significant changes were found after the gentler Soloflex intervention".
    Again, follow up two weeks later, severity of pain were temporary and 'not maintained'. I guess one would conclude that if vibration therapy works for pain with either SCI or Polio, that it would need to be ongoing therapy.

I'm hoping someone in CC knows if studies are being done with SCI participants and vibration therapy.
    I'll add that I tried it once for about 2 minutes when in a three week physical therapy program for one shoulder. (I'm paralyzed from high chest down from Polio). My foot was placed on the plate and it felt weird.

At Kessler:
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02127606

A CareCure Member was getting treated for bone density at the Shepherd Center:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ibration+plate

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I tried the vibrating plate, the guys had ingeniously fixed it to the base of total gym, and would work my legs from a squat to fully locked out straight on the vibrating plate.

My legs responded favorably. I would say I had 24 hours after where my legs had less spasm and less pain, and were just generally easier to deal with, and then back to where they usually are.

Downside it took two people to help me the whole time, so no way I could do it alone.

I wish someone would develop a powerplate that would work with a standing frame.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    I tried the vibrating plate, the guys had ingeniously fixed it to the base of total gym, and would work my legs from a squat to fully locked out straight on the vibrating plate.

My legs responded favorably. I would say I had 24 hours after where my legs had less spasm and less pain, and were just generally easier to deal with, and then back to where they usually are.

Downside it took two people to help me the whole time, so no way I could do it alone.

I wish someone would develop a powerplate that would work with a standing frame.
    I too wish someone to develop a powerplate like that.

Quote Originally Posted by pate234 View Post
    I too wish someone to develop a powerplate like that.
    Marilyn Hamilton, US distributer of the Galileo spoke at our Summer Open House. The Galileo does have a tilt table. Scroll down page- http://stimdesigns.com/products/

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Marilyn Hamilton, US distributer of the Galileo spoke at our Summer Open House. The Galileo does have a tilt table. Scroll down page- http://stimdesigns.com/products/
    Interesting ..

I wonder how much they are charging for this..... Still wish they could make some thing that would work with .. say an easy stand... I can work it myself, and I don't have room for any more equipment