Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: one of the most difficult days yet

Quote Originally Posted by backwoodsrider View Post
    The problem was me last night. I cannot tell you the relief I feel that I am USUALLY not leaving "presents" wherever I go. That is an empowering feeling Good Luck with what which direction you decide
    YES! What an improvement to not sit on your "problem" but to have it where you can get your hands on it and deal with it!
    Three+ years after the surgery, I have zero problems in the past year with the colostomy, but am now, without warning, having episodes of smelly exudate from the stump.
    Since this began, I've been doing digital stimulation in the shower and doing my best to empty any of the slime or waxy exudate, but still have a small but smelly accident ~once a week. Not fun!!
    (I have an appointment with gastroenterologist in 2 weeks, but am looking for coaching) Some of my problem may relate to the map-practice that occurred when I got the colostomy: initially they connected the ostomy to my ass! The stump may be longer?? after the emergency/corrective surgery that was performed timely................twelve days later!

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I have zero problems in the past year with the colostomy, but am now, without warning, having episodes of smelly exudate from the stump.
    We recommend a 1-2X monthly Fleets enema through the rectum to prevent and manage the mucous that is still produced by the residual bowel. If this does not resolve it, you may need a sigmoidoscopy. We have seen a couple people develop a "mucolith" (hard, stone-line piece of dried mucous) that says inside the sigmoid and rectal colon, and causes irritation, making the residual bowel create even more mucous.

(KLD)

Recently a new company has come out with a paste that is silicone based and doesn't absorb any leaks it just seals any places where it might escape. The old style of stoma paste would have pectin or something in it and get messy with leaks. it's called silken and looks promising. hope this isn't still an issue for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    We recommend a 1-2X monthly Fleets enema through the rectum to prevent and manage the mucous that is still produced by the residual bowel. If this does not resolve it, you may need a sigmoidoscopy. We have seen a couple people develop a "mucolith" (hard, stone-line piece of dried mucous) that says inside the sigmoid and rectal colon, and causes irritation, making the residual bowel create even more mucous.
    (KLD)
    To update this: Original colostomy 2/2012. No problem until spring of 2015 when exudate became a problem.
    I've had colonoscopy at both entries: no mucolith, just incredibly upset lower bowel below colostomy.
    I wore a diaper for 15 months while going through several courses of treatment with two GI docs, that mostly involved shoving a couple thousand dollars worth of off formulary medicine up my ass! Then I consulted with a third gastroenterologist who confirmed what the other two said: remove it.
    I had the surgery March 15, 2017, and haven't worn a diaper since.

Colostomies are a great upgrade IMO, but if I had anticipated what followed, I might not have done it.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ